Coming back: why we will always call this place home

A few weeks ago at a Michigan high school homecoming, the kicker for the football team, who scored the winning field goal, was also crowned homecoming queen. Brianna Amat, a senior at Pinckney Community High School joined the homecoming court, not in a dress and heels, but in her football uniform and pads. Amat, who is also a soccer player, was the first girl to make Pinckney's varsity football team.

According to a New York Times article published Oct. 3, Amat said the team had been very accepting of her since she had joined, despite being the only female on the squad.

As Richmond's homecoming approaches, Amat's story reminds me of what this weekend is truly about. For me, the University of Richmond is much like Amat's team. From the moment I stepped on this campus more than one year ago, I have felt that I was immediately accepted into the community.

A house is not a home without family. This university is not a home without the many people who make this place what it is. Alumni come home because they want to visit with former classmates, friends and teachers: the people who have become like family. I hope that many of you feel the same way: that despite our different backgrounds and interests, we are all part of this community, a family that you will want to come back to after you graduate.

I couldn't tell you the number of times my father has used the phrase, "For the raindrop, joy is in entering the river." Although I've heard it many times, I think it's an expression that could never grow trite. Homecoming is about celebrating the joy that comes with being part of the river that is the University of Richmond.

A single raindrop's journey is transformed by the course of the river. Together we are always stronger than when we are alone, whether referring to a sports team or a community like ours.

Amat said she couldn't have made the winning kick without her teammates. Whether this weekend you're crowned homecoming queen, you're playing on the football field or you're an alum returning to campus, I think we all can agree that the successes we have had must be credited to the support from others in this community.