Spiders shutout Flyers, 1-0

After a scoreless tie against Xavier University Friday night, the University of Richmond women's soccer team defeated No. 21 Dayton University, 1-0, in conference play Sunday afternoon in Robins Stadium.

At halftime, the teams were locked in a scoreless tie. About 15 minutes into the second half, forward Becca Wann took a shot that soared over the goalie's head, narrowly missing the net and hitting the post. She scored a few minutes later set up by an assist from Crystal Koczot, who broke away from her defender, dribbled up the field and placed a kick directly to Wann.

After 59 minutes filled with several shots that just missed, Wann's teammates rushed to hug her and congratulate her on the goal.

The goal was Wann's 14th of the season. She currently leads the Atlantic 10 Conference and is sixth in the nation in scoring.

Wann called her goal "a big-time moment."

"After [the goal]," she said, "I thought we had a bunch of adrenaline and we didn't have to worry about our defense as much."

Said Richmond coach Peter ALbright: "Becca scored a world-class goal. No disrespect to Becca though, the best player on the field was number 10 [Natalie LeClair]."

Albright said LeClair, a junior, had played the best game of her life. She marked Dayton's best player, Colleen Williams, who was named a second team All-American last year.

"Natalie controlled the midfield," Albright said.

Wann agreed, and said that LeClair had been amazing. "She made sure the best player in the conference wasn't a threat."

Wann also said the defense in general had been incredible. Keeper Melissa Pacheco had six saves.

Despite Dayton's high standing, Albright said the team was definitely prepared to win.

"We always expect to win at home," he said.

"We played a near-perfect game. Dayton is a skilled team, and they are very good defensively. They're just a great team and a great program."

"Dayton plays very in-your-face," Wann said. "Our team just played lots of balls forward, keeping the game in front."

Richmond's last win against the Flyers was in 2002.

This was the second time this year that Richmond has defeated a nationally ranked opponent. The Spiders defeated No. 21 William & Mary, 2-1, Sept. 8.

Albright said that Dayton had always been among the best teams in the A-10 conference. "That makes this win even sweeter," he said.

The win improved Richmond's overall record to 10-4-3 and its conference record to 4-1-1. In its next match-up, the Spiders will travel to George Washington University to face the Colonials.

Contact staff writer Avery Shackelford at avery.shackelford@richmond.edu