To dine or not to dine: Mom's Siam

For those of you who like a good dive restaurant every now and then, Mom's Siam might be your kind of place. The waiters have tattoos, and the interior is cluttered with curio that looks like it's been picked up on long steamer-bound trips to Thailand.

The first time I went to Mom's Siam I wasn't too sure about it, but I'd never had Thai food before and wasn't familiar with the aftershock phenomenon that gives you cravings like a pregnant woman. Sure enough, this week I found myself in need of a little comfort food on a Sunday night, and the only place that even crossed my mind was Mom's Siam.

I like to think that the food here is a step up from take-out and food court staples such as China Panda or Lin Garden. Like many menus for restaurants with Asian-inspired dishes, Mom's Siam's menu options are lengthy, and, to really enjoy your time there, you have to find an old stand-by staple you are satisfied with.

The menu is divided into a number of sections: hot and cold appetizers, soup, chef's specials, seafood, curry and vegetarian dishes. For my past order I had a rather un-adventurous chicken Pad Thai served with a zesty lemon wedge and a small heap of bean sprouts.

Of course, for most of us who are not literate in Thai food, a lot of entrees can seem daunting. Somtum, which is green papaya julienne with lime juice roasted peanuts and chili pepper, is one that comes to mind. Or, Pad Se-ew, which is a stir-fried dish with flat rice, noodles, egg and broccoli in a sweet soy sauce with chicken, beef or pork.

I'd definitely recommend straying from the ordinary menu options with these more enticing foods. But be wary, as many of the dishes here are hit or miss.

Contact staff writer Caroline Croasdaile at caroline.croasdaile@richmond.edu.