Friday, May 03, 2024

Emmy-nominated director to visit University of Richmond

Tomorrow night the University of Richmond Journalism Department will present a screening of the award-winning documentary "Reporter" and a talk by the director, Eric Daniel Metzgar at 7:30 in the Alice Haynes Room.

Metzgar is riding his bicycle from New York to Richmond to help support fundraising for Women for Women International, an organization that supports women who were victims of war or other conflicts. He started Nov. 8 and will arrive tomorrow.

Metzgar traveled to the Democratic Republic of Congo four years ago to make a documentary about Nicholas Kristof of the New York Times as he reported on the Congo's continuing humanitarian crisis.

"About 50 women are raped in the Congo every hour," Metzgar said. "That's over 1,100 a day." Women live in perpetual risk of violence, rape, theft, famine and disease, Metzgar said.

Journalism professor Tom Mullen said, Metzgar's film is important in an age where people are beginning to question journalism. Mullen said it is an opportunity to see in a very tangible way the power that journalism can have.

The film, which was praised at the Sundance Film Festival and nominated for an Emmy Award, looks at how a passionate journalist tries to bring awareness of poverty, war, disease and famine in Africa.

Mullen said, "We are grateful to Dr. (Tom) Shields for helping bring Metzgar to UR to talk about this film." Shields is director of the Senate For Leadership in Education.

Metzgar said that in the Congo he witnessed unspeakable suffering, but also incredible beauty and resilience.

"A day doesn't pass that I don't think of the people we encountered," Metzgar said. "Though it's been four years since our trip."

The event is free and open to the community. It is sponsored by the Journalism Department, the Society of Professional Journalists, Virginia Pro Chapter, the ONE chapter of the University of Richmond and the South Court PCA program of Richmond College.

Contact reporter Catherine Crystal at catherine.crystal@richmond.edu.