Sorority holds drive as part of Domestic Violence Awareness Month

Richmond's own 'ravishing' Rho Rho chapter of Delta Sigma Theta held a fundraising effort and shoe drive as a part of Domestic Violence Awareness Month for a second year. Known as Stepping Out on Faith, the initiative's goal was to collect shoes, clothing and money to donate to women's shelters.

"We realized that October was awareness month for two big issues that affect women for the most part: breast cancer awareness and domestic violence awareness," sorority president Danielle Stokes said. "We felt as though...the university community and the community in general didn't focus as much on the domestic violence awareness."

Through three days of setting up in the commons and having drop-off containers for shoes and clothing, the sorority collected 25 pairs of shoes, more than 20 pieces of clothing and $30 in donations. Stepping Out on Faith was "a shoe drive to encourage the women to 'step out' of their homes and to provide them with the shoes they needed to take that step." Delta Sigma Theta plans to donate its collections to the Richmond YWCA, an organization that assists women who are victims of domestic and/or sexual violence with a 24-hour hotline, counseling and a confidential shelter.

Delta Sigma Theta, which celebrates its 20 year at the University of Richmond next October, is a nearly 100-year-old Black Greek Sorority founded at Howard University. Its self-described purpose is "to provide assistance and support through established programs in local communities and throughout the world." The Rho Rho chapter stays active throughout the year with various service projects and activities, including last week's Code Red Week, which included a self-defense class and a concert to raise money for water purifiers in Ghana.

The Richmond YWCA defines domestic violence as "a pattern of abusive behaviors used by one individual intended to exert power and control over another individual in the context of an intimate or family relationship." Students who are victims of domestic violence, or suspect a friend or colleague of being a victim should immediately contact Counseling and Psychological Services, the Richmond or Westhampton Colleges, or campus police. Warning signs can include someone who withdraws from friends and family, has unexplained bruises, seems overly concerned about making their partner upset, or often cancels plans at the last minute. The Richmond YWCA can also assist women with escape plans, legal help and residential arrangements.

CAPS: (804) 289-8119

UR Campus Police: (804) 289-8911

Richmond YWCA 24-hour Hotline: (804) 643-0888

Contact reporter Ben Panko at ben.panko@richmond.edu