George Allen speaks in Queally Hall Tuesday

George Allen, the former governor of Virginia who is running for U.S. Senate, visited the University of Richmond and told students he would be "like a dog on a bone" to make his campaign plans a reality for building a brighter American future.

Allen addressed approximately 100 people in his black leather cowboy boots for a joint meeting of the Richmond City GOP, the University of Richmond College Republicans and the Greater Richmond Young Republicans.

Allen said he was inspired by the cohesiveness of the three hosting organizations, and that it was "great to see young people interested in government who are involved and care about the future of the country."

Economic issues, energy resourcing and Medicaid were three of the most important topics of Allen's discussion. He said there were proven solutions for all of the country's biggest problems based on "our own common sense."

"The credit card up in Washington is overdrawn," Allen said. He emphasized a balanced budget requirement to help knock out wasteful spending.

Allen also said he was frustrated with the fact that Congress had not passed a budget in 1,000 days, and that he had a solution to finalize the maximum spending.

"If members of Congress do not pass appropriation bills on time," Allen said, "we should withhold their pay. We need to get back to basics."

Concerning the economy, Allen said the U.S. needed to reinvigorate its entrepreneurial spirit and view its energy sources as a blessing -- not a curse.

Allen expressed his frustrations with the Obama administration's refusal to allow the exploration of oil and natural gas off the coast of Virginia. Allen said the state would greatly benefit from this exploration, as it would get 37.5 percent of the royalties.

He later said he wanted the federal government to stay out of Americans' lives and businesses, and that he believed Medicaid should be left to the states. Senior Charles Sabatier, president of UR Young Democrats, said he thoroughly disagreed with many of Allen's discussion points and that he thought the former governor misunderstood the policies the Obama administration put into place.

"It is important to note that Obama inherited an economic crisis and two wars, and that he is not responsible for the entire debt," Sabatier said. "Gov. Allen would push an agenda of no intervention, and doing nothing to help the country recover from the economic slump would most likely lead to a prolonged economic downturn."

Sabatier said, "Basically, Gov. Allen is just wrong."

Although Allen's "prescription speech" highlighted some of the hot issues in the U.S. right now, he reiterated his belief that family and education were the "most important units of society."

Allen said his desire for a better future for younger generations had greatly influenced his campaign and decision to run for Senate.

Allen said: "Looking at the future through the eyes of my children is one of the reasons my wife and I decided to get off the sidelines and into the fight. This election is to make sure you have the opportunities to achieve your dreams in America."

Senior Micala MacRae, a law and liberal arts student at Richmond, said she was honored that Allen came to speak to the university.

MacRae said: "I thought he spoke with passion and positivity for the future of Virginia and the United States. Tonight was a clear example of the Republican community coming together."

Allen said he trusted Gov. McDonnell to be a successful leader for Virginia, and ended his speech by saying "It's time for an American comeback!"

Contact staff writer Markie Martin at markie.martin@richmond.edu