Dance class fuses culture and physical skill

Students enrolled in professor Matt Thornton's Capoeira Angola course are practicing physically demanding skills while learning about the cultural implications of an Afro-Brazilian form of dance and self-defense.

Capoeira originates from African slaves as a form of cultural resistance, according to the course description. It was made illegal in Brazil when it became associated with criminals, but it is now the unofficial sport of the country. The sport uses Portuguese music and is played when players react to one another's non-contact movements in a roda, or circle.

During class meetings, students work on simple movements such as handstands and cartwheels, as well as dance-specific movements, said freshman Rebecca Gluck, who is a dual-citizen of Brazil and the U.S. Each week includes a physically demanding workout paired with discussion of the implications of movement. In addition to the physical aspects, Gluck said students learned about the music and how to play the instruments involved. They also focus on cultural aspects of the sport, she said.

This is the first year the class has been taught at Richmond, although there used to be a group that practiced the sport on campus, Thorton said.

Sophomore Chandler Grinnell said when he had signed up for the class, he had thought it would be an acrobatic type of dancing. Instead, the class works more on control and simple movements, he said.

"It's different from anything I've ever tried before," said Grinnell. "It's made me focus a lot more on basic things, such as walking and thinking about space as not guaranteed--and that translates into our movement."

Thornton said he was trying to teach the class in a way that crossed the culture with dance and art aspects. He has been trying to establish links between the different components of the arts, such as acting, dancing and music. For example, improvisation and reacting to others are qualities of theater, but also are a part of this dance, he said.

Junior Amy Au said, "It's not just a physical thing, it is a life practice in a sense. I don't think a lot of people in the class might take it that way, but they can if they want to."

Grinnell said the sport was enjoyable because it was such a good workout and instilled appreciation in the community surrounding the sport. The class's connection with the dance is in learning its history and how it is changing, he said.

Gluck said that from her experience in Brazil, Capoeira was the type of thing that people seemed to know about only if they are participating in it. She spends three months of every year visiting her Brazilian family, she said.

"I was very surprised that [Richmond was] going to be offering a class like this because it's not something that most people know anything about," she said.

Thornton has been studying Capoeira for almost 20 years, he said. So far this semester, he has already brought in two guest professors to share different perspectives and aspects of the culture of Capoeira with his students, he said.

Although the class is physically demanding, Au said the only people who would not be able to take the class were those who would not be willing to commit themselves or be willing to make mistakes in front of others.

"The class is very diverse in itself," Au said. "People are all at different [physical] levels, but at the same time we all mesh very well together, and I think we're all learning pretty fast."

Thornton said that the class should not be restricted to students who were in shape, but participating students must improve their fitness throughout the semester. This is important because Capoeira is a combination of flexibility, strength and conditioning, he said.

Gluck said the students in the class enjoyed what they were learning. When they get to each class session, it is obvious that people have practiced outside of class and are ready to start the next lesson, she said.

"It's really about the people around you, the type of dance," Gluck said, "so everyone's drawn in to it. People are even asking what we are doing next year -- if we're going to continue with it."

Thornton said he hoped to run the course every spring. As the weather improves and students become confident in their skills, the class will practice outside, he said. Gluck said she looked forward to seeing her skill level at the end of the semester.

"I'm excited to be able to go back [to Brazil] and show that I've learned something that's so essential to our culture that we don't even know that much about," Gluck said. "I'm excited to go back there as an American and show my Brazilian family that I can do it, as well."

Contact reporter Chrissy Wengloski at chrissy.wengloski@richmond.edu.