Response to: Ring Dance ticket sales decrease

I get it. Some Westhampton students view Ring Dance as a flawed tradition, and they are fully entitled to their views as members of our class. However, I strongly believe that Ms. Bevels' Jan. 26 article, "Ring Dance ticket sales decrease," took a very one-sided approach to the topic. The article mentioned several women expressing their various opinions about Ring Dance. Presumably this sample should have accurately reflected the opinions of junior women as a whole, yet I found myself overwhelmed with the amount of anti-Ring Dance sentiment included in the article. I would argue that this opinion is not indicative of the majority of the class of 2013. More than 65 percent of us still will be in attendance, yet every year The Collegian features virtually the same article with a few individuals vocally dissenting, and as a junior now myself, I'm tired of reading it. Where is the representation for the large population of students who are actually excited for Ring Dance?

In the week or so after the original article came out, I noticed many of my peers buzzing about it around campus. Whether they were simply acquaintances, classmates or friends of mine, the responses were largely the same -- many are sick of the political bent that's often forced upon Ring Dance yearly. Yes, the structure of Ring Dance when it was first founded was very similar to a traditional debutante ball. I personally don't have a problem with these events in general -- they possess a certain old-time charm that we often don't find in today's world -- but for those who are opposed to the "patriarchal" origins of Ring Dance, I would remind them that the ceremony no longer holds the societal implications of a debutante ball. Rather, Ring Dance is a time for the junior women to gather with loved ones and celebrate their accomplishments as a class and as a part of the university. Without traditions, we wouldn't have any way to keep our history alive. Ring Dance is a valuable link to the past, reminding us of the difficulties some of the first Westhampton women faced simply for daring to be college students. This tradition remembers their unity and encourages us to come together as a class much like they had to.

At its core, Ring Dance today is a fun event, and I think it's what you make of it. You don't have to spend a fortune to have a good experience. On Saturday night, I won't be thinking about the political or social implications of this event; I just want to have fun dressing up and looking pretty, while spending time with my friends and family in a beautiful setting. The historic, ceremonial aspects of Ring Dance are part of what drove me to attend Richmond, as I've never experienced a tradition with quite as rich a history before. I'm excited to laugh a lot with my mom while getting ready for the night together. I'm thrilled for my dad to walk me down the stairs. I can't wait to dance and celebrate and take tons of ridiculous pictures with my friends. Many who I've talked to have the same expectations, and I think it's time we're heard too. If Ring Dance isn't your thing, for one reason or another, that's the beauty of it -- you don't have to go.

The majority of junior women over the decades have recognized the special significance Ring Dance holds, yet they are overshadowed by those who don't support this event. In the end, I can't speak for anyone but myself. But as I watched the happy anticipation spread over my classmates' faces as we arrived at the Jefferson for rehearsal, and as I saw different groups of girls talking together regardless of background, social group, race, economic status or sorority affiliation, I thought that the early Westhampton women had the right idea. Any tradition that continues to unite such a diverse group still holds some magic, and I'm proud to be a part of it. So, ladies: those of you who aren't attending Ring Dance, I fully respect your choice, and I hope you have a nice evening. And to those of you who'll be sporting your white dresses at the Jefferson Saturday -- you're gonna look fabulous. See you on the dance floor for one heck of a party, Westhampton style.