Brother of Malone sisters offers support to Ice family

My name is Terence Malone, I am a 2006 graduate of the University of Richmond, and I wanted to share some thoughts about the passing of Mike Ice.

My two youngest sisters, Jamie and Paige Malone, were killed a little more than 19 months ago in a car accident on Long Island. They were good friends with Michael, and I remember him writing a lovely note about his memories with them.

As I was waiting in line at Mike's wake Tuesday, Feb. 28, I could not help but be reminded of that time 19 months ago, as I prepared for my sisters' burials.

The faces were all the same, the close circle of friends from the 2010, 2011 and 2012 classes once again were gathered to mourn the loss of a dear friend.

I knew Mike only through my sisters, when they were with us, and through their subsequent passing. Every article I have read seems to highlight what I picked up on in just a few meetings: a fun-loving, happy person who was robbed of the bright future he had in front of him.

The grief that the Ice family is experiencing is as difficult and raw as a human being has to face. I would never do them the injustice of saying I know what they are going through, as every person is different.

But what I would say to the family is I found support in this wonderful university and the superb fraternity that Michael and I were members of, Sigma Alpha Epsilon.

The University of Richmond, and specifically my fraternity brothers, continue to shape my life, and I could not imagine having to go through my personal ordeal of losing Jamie and Paige without them.

I don't have all, or really any, answers for the Ice family --- it continues to be a daily struggle. But I do know that there are people out there who want to do nothing but alleviate the pain, and I have no doubt the Richmond community will embrace this family as they have done mine.

My family and I still speak regularly with Jamie and Paige's friends, and it is always comforting to know that the girls are still on people's minds, and their spirits continue to be honored by those closest to them.

All the best to the Ice family.