Only YOU can prevent a Totalitarian police state

I would like to now inform you that your basic rights as U.S. citizens are being stripped away from you as I write this letter.

Yes, the republic upholding "liberty and justice for all" is evolving into one of "liberty and justice for all who keep their mouths shut." Back in 2009, President Obama vowed to close Guantanamo Bay, which you might recall was under a bit of scrutiny for performing illegal torture tactics upon prisoners who had never been formally charged with a crime. As of today, not only has Guantanamo not been shut down, but it may well become home to American citizens in the coming years.

You see, back in January, a bill affectionately known as the NDAA (National Defense Authorization Act) passed in Congress and was signed by Obama. The NDAA in general is renewed yearly, as it basically outlines the national defense budget for the coming year. This year, however, Congress added a tiny footnote to the bill which allows for the US army to arrest and detain any American citizen suspected of terrorist acts without legal defense and without being told what their charges are, until "the end of hostilities."

Some food for thought: when and how exactly are the hostilities of the "War on Terror" supposed to end?

Furthermore, a bill which makes it a felony to protest on any government property or within noticeable distance of any government official who is protected by secret service was recently passed and given Obama's stamp of approval (HR 347/ S. 1794). Just in case the implications of these laws aren't clear, you no longer have full protection of due process under the Fourteenth Amendment. Furthermore, the government is rapidly taking away the ability to voice our objection to this attack on our rights.

Do you think this isn't happening? At least three US citizens have already been killed by targeted drone attacks outside the country. Only last October, Anwar al-Awlaki-- a US citizen who sent out English-language sermons on jihad--was killed during a targeted drone strike in Yemen. He was never formally charged with any crimes, and his direct threat to the US was questionable. I, for one, happily spout anti-American sentiments every day and know others who do the same. How long before the C.I.A. comes knocking on our doors? Or on yours?

Someone recently told me that she was unconcerned with the NDAA passage because she wasn't doing anything illegal, so she shouldn't have to worry about being targeted. Such a claim cannot be our method of reasoning. If citizens can be detained or killed without being informed of their crime or having legitimate charges filed against them, then the government now has the ability to define what constitutes a terrorist act without consultation from the courts or from the people it serves. What is defined as "terrorism" could become simply any large gathering of individuals in front of government offices, a la Occupy Richmond. To those who might think that they will never come under government scrutiny, let me paraphrase a certain poem:

First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out --

Because I was not a Socialist.

...

Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out --

Because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for me -- and there was no one left to speak for me.

(Martin Niemoeller)

What Can You Do About It?

Some states have drafted bills which would prohibit state officials from assisting in unlawful arrests. The bill for Virginia, HB 1160, needs to be signed by the governor to become law. If you are a Virginian, write to Governor McDonnell to voice your support for this bill. Otherwise, contact your home state representative to demand that similar measures be taken.

However, state action can only go so far against federal legislation. Whomever you support for president, your vote is your most powerful weapon in the representative process. Write a letter to whomever presidential and House representative you support who are up for election and tell them that they will only have your vote if they promise to repeal NDAA and similar laws. Tell them that you will not stand for your First and Fourteenth Amendment rights to be so blatantly constrained.

Most importantly, you must act on this threat! Use your ability to vote in November to show our government that you care about keeping your rights.

That is, if you do care...