Rising senior dies at home in Michigan

Rising senior Ryan Wolff, 21, died at his home in Coloma, Mich., on Monday, May 7. Cause of his death hasn't been reported yet.

"I was devastated [when I heard]," said Michael Ghio, Wolff's freshman-year roommate. Wolff lived in a single his sophomore and junior years. "Ryan was a great friend and amazing representative of the university. He will be deeply missed by all those who knew him."

Wolff was a business major, concentrating in finance, according to an email sent out by university officials Wednesday morning.

Ghio said he had been informed the night before the notice had been sent out.

"Ryan was one of the first friends I made here at the university," he said. "I remember how every Friday night, we would play video games all night and, despite the fact [that] he would beat me every time, we enjoyed just chilling.

"Ryan and I also decided to form the intramural team our hall had, and he really enjoyed playing all the different IM sports, especially soccer, where he stepped up and played goalie for us several games."

Ghio said their interests had carried them in different directions after freshman year, but that he had still considered Wolff a good friend.

A memorial service was held at 2 p.m. on Saturday, May 12 at Starks & Menchinger Chapel in St. Joseph, Mich., according to Wolff's obituary.

"I hope people remember Ryan for who he was: a brilliant, athletic and hardworking student here at the university," Ghio said. "He was quiet, but for those who got to know him, he truly had a great impact on them.

"Forever will I remember him as one of my first friends here. I know others also found him to be extremely giving and welcoming as well. I hope other students continue to keep him in their thoughts because it's a devastating loss for the UR community and for his friends and family."

More information will be provided as it becomes available.

Contact staff writer David Weissman at david.weissman@richmond.edu