Arts Around the Lake returns to Richmond

The annual Arts Around the Lake show will be held from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Sunday Sept. 30 on the paths around the Westhampton Lake.

Carolyn R. Martin, who is the executive assistant to the president and serves as the university liaison for the Arts Around the Lake committee, said 85 artists had been chosen to participate. The artists work in many different mediums, such as oil painting, jewelry and linoleum block print. Admission is free.

Arts Around the Lake has been held for 32 years. Martin said all of the proceeds from the artists' booth and registration fees during their 33rd event would go toward a scholarship for Richmond area Westhampton College students.

Lee Kirby West, a recipient of the scholarship and chairwoman of the Arts Around the Lake committee, said preference was given to those students from the Richmond area who were daughters or granddaughters of alumni.

"Last year [The scholarship] was for $17,320," Martin said. "It can be shared by one or more students, and in the past, it has been shared by at least two students."

West said she had been a recipient of the scholarship for three years and had been working with the committee officially since 1996, when she had first become a student assistant in the Office of Alumni.

Before 1996, West said she was still working with the committee because her mother, Spring Crafts Kirby, was chairwoman for many years and was one of the original members who had started the tradition as an alumna of the class of 1973.

West said of her mother: "She has also worked as the chairperson of the show and this year is volunteer chair and has been the volunteer chair for a while. She is in charge of getting all the volunteers for the show. We use both student volunteers from local-area high schools, and we use alumni volunteers."

The event has always been held on campus, Martin said, and, weather permitting, would be around the lake this year. If inclement weather occurs, the event will be held in the ambulatory level of the Robins Center.

Contact reporter Amanda Minnitte at amanda.minnitte@richmond.edu