Go-to for Richmond gas stops serving

The Getty Mart at 7000 Three Chopt Road stopped selling gasoline at the beginning of May.

Bags now cover the gas pumps. The storeowner and manager, who requested that he remain anonymous, said that customers had been upset that they could no longer purchase gas. A lot of customers still come to this location expecting to be able to buy gas, he said.

"It has hurt business big time," he said. "We have definitely lost some customers."

Getty Petroleum Marketing, Inc. had previously supplied fuel to the Getty Mart.

Bloomberg News reported that Getty Petroleum Marketing Inc. filed for bankruptcy protection to deal with environmental cleanup costs in December.

Getty Petroleum, formed in 1997, acts as a liaison for about 765 leases between landlords and gas station operators and other businesses, according to the article.

The owner said that he had been in the process of looking for another supplier since Getty Petroleum had filed for bankruptcy and that it would not be long before gas was available to customers again.

"It's a huge inconvenience that the Getty is no longer serving fuel," Richmond senior Ryan Ethington said. He said that he would now go to Sheetz on West Broad Street.

Contact staff writer Brooke Knetzger at brooke.knetzger@richmond.edu