University's Emergency Management website to relaunch

UR Emergency Management will relaunch the university's Emergency Management website and hold a public safety day on Sept. 19.

The hope is for students, faculty and staff to be more aware and informed of campus emergencies, said Brittany Schaal, director of Emergency Management. The new website will be the place to turn for up-to-date information on all types of campus-wide emergencies, she said.

The UR alert system is the current form of communication in the event of a campus emergency. This system sends emergency messages via phone calls, text messages and emails, Schaal said.

"I think the current system is efficient because students can choose how they wish to be notified, and there are many options for notification," senior Emily Engle said.

The university also has a tornado warning system that provides students, faculty, and staff with advance notice of an approaching tornado. Students can also access the Richmond website as a means of preparedness for emergencies, Schaal said.

"I think the university does a great job of keeping students informed. I feel better on campus when I know what is going on around me," Engle said.

With the relaunch of the website, Emergency Management hopes to further increase the level of student preparedness, Schaal said. The new website will be interactive and encourage students to participate in the university's Emergency Management, she said.

Schaal said that Emergency Management had taken the past six months to evaluate the department's strengths and look at how other campuses had handled emergencies. With the launch of the new system, students can expect to become more involved in emergency preparedness activities, she said.

Through the updated website, students are encouraged to voice their opinions on emergency matters, Schaal said.

The public safety day will also be an opportunity for students to get involved. It will be held in the forum, and there will be raffles, among other fun activities for students to participate in. The police department, parking services and other faculty members will attend the event, Schaal said.

With the first hurricane of the season approaching the South, UR Emergency Management staff advises that students sign up for UR alerts and mark their calendars for the relaunch of the Emergency Management website and public safety day on Sept. 19.

Contact reporter Brooke Knetzger at brooke.knetzger@richmond.edu