A worst-case scenario survival guide to Richmond weather

I felt my first chill in months Sunday as I walked out the door. Even though I had pulled my hoodie from its dusty corner of my closet, I was still not prepared for the blast of brisk cold. It was a tangible sign that my favorite season was coming. If I didn't know better, I would say these past fews days have been the first signs of winter.

But I do know better, thanks to the Weather Channel. The five-day forecast shows that it will be 70 degrees again on Friday and almost 80 degrees on Sunday. I was crushed.

For students who are used to a consistent progression of seasons, moving to Richmond is likely a shock. I have lived here my whole life, and I barely know when one season ends and another begins. But, with my questionable expertise, I will give some advice about surviving Richmond weather.

1 Expect the unexpected. It can go from freezing in the morning to scorching by noon, or sunny at 3:50 to downpour at 3:55. You won't always have time to go back to your dorm to change or grab an umbrella, so I'd recommend carrying a small duffel bag filled with every type of weather-appropriate clothing (from swimsuits to parkas). I used to have a pair of pants which had legs that could zip off to create shorts. Sadly, the fashion world doesn't favor weather-ready clothing, but "unfashionableness" hasn't stopped Richmond students before.

2 Richmond can get hurricanes and earthquakes in the same month. I suggest carrying a survival pack. One should have a poncho, a radio, rations, water, flares, a flashlight, a tent, a knife and a first aid kit at all times. This is also essential for the coming zombie/velociraptor/Mayan apocalypse.

3 Never believe the snow forecast. In fact, I suggest assuming the opposite of whatever was forecast. If the weatherman says one inch, prepare for one foot, and if he says 12 feet, expect 12 millimeters.

4 Learn to predict the weather. Tribes around the world have figured out how to interpret cloud patterns and animal behaviors to predict the weather. Thankfully, we have technology now. If you strap a barometer, thermometer and anamometer to your backpack, you'll have a leg up on your less meteorologically-inclined peers and probably even the Weather Channel.

5 Keep an open mind. There's something to love about every season and every type of weather. So strap on your survival pack, dress in layers, keep an eye on the sky and enjoy a (possibly) cold, snowy Richmond winter.