Pi Beta Phi hosts its annual Lip Sync fundraiser

Song mash-ups, gyrating hips and cheering spectators invaded the Alice Haynes Room at 8 p.m. Thursday for Pi Beta Phi's annual Lip Sync fundraiser.

This year's theme was "90s," and 14 teams participated. These teams included sororities, fraternities and last years champions the University Dancers. Each group performed a choreographed routine and lip synced to a mash-up of the music of its choice for the judges.

The winning routine of the night went to Lambda Chi Alpha. They incorporated music from "The Lion King" and "Mulan." One of the group members was dressed in a Simba (cq) costume, and other group members ripped of their shirts to reveal chests painted with their fraternity's Greek letters and their backs painted with the host, Pi Phi's, Greek letters. The group also threw thongs into the crowd as they danced to the "Thong Song" by Sisqo.

Lip Sync is usually held in The Pier, but this year the location changed to help raise more money, said Virginia House, Pi Phi's Lip Sync chair. Because The Pier is so open, in past years people would sneak in without paying for a ticket or would watch upstairs over the banisters, she said.

Before the show began, there was a long line out front for people who did not pre-order to buy wristbands to get in.

In the Alice Haynes Room, every seat was taken forcing many participants and spectators to stand along the walls and in the back of the room. 90s music blared from the speakers and the room was hot as everyone scrambled to find a seat. Spectators could hear sororities and fraternities chanting the names of their respective groups outside of the room.

"Other organizations on campus say it's one of the most anticipated philanthropy events on campus," House said. "Everybody looks forward to doing it. I know it's a bonding experience for a lot of pledge classes."

Proceeds benefited Pi Phi's literacy fund, the "Read. Lead. Achieve." initiative, and some would be dispersed locally to Church Hill Activities and Tutoring and the First Book program in Richmond if enough money was raised, said Meredith Schlussel, Pi Phi's vice president of philanthropy.

Pi Phi sophomores opened the night performing in spray-painted T-shirts and backwards neon hats to a medley of 90s music. Many other groups chose to perform, in line with the theme, to similar 90s medleys including the University Dancers, Kappa Kappa Gamma, Delta Gamma and Theta Chi.

Not all of the songs performed were strictly from that era. Delta Delta Delta and Sigma Alpha Epsilon both included the current chart-topping song "Gangnam Style" into their routines. Stripping was another theme of the night as both Sigma Phi Epsilon and Kappa Sigma ended their performances wearing less than when they started.

Both Sigma Chi and Kappa Alpha performed part of their routines in the aisles, singing directly to audience members. Other groups chose to use music from popular movies in their routines. Kappa Alpha Theta incorporated "Stop The Yard's" Theta chant, and Sigma Alpha Epsilon performed to the theme from "Titanic."

As the judges deliberated, the Pi Phi seniors closed the night throwing fake money into the crowd with a Destiny's Child medley.

The night also included a performance by Richmond's all-male a cappella group, The Octaves, and raffle prizes.

This year, Pi Phi wanted to revamp Lip Sync into a week-long event, rather than just one night, Schlussel said. Pi Phi also hosted a profit share at Sweet Frog Premium Frozen Yogurt on Monday as well as Tuesday night's Spelling Bee in The Cellar.

For the Spelling Bee, representatives from sororities, fraternities, University Dancers and the men's basketball team took turns spelling difficult last names of their fellow organization members, alcoholic beverages and STDs. Each seat in The Cellar was filled, as the audience watched Pi Phi senior Hannah Goodman win the $50 cash prize. She won after spelling the final word, "gonorrhea," correctly.

Contact staff writer Maria Rajtik at maria.rajtik@richmond.edu