Fitness Challenge enourages students to attend group classes

The Weinstein Center for Recreation and Wellness is holding its second November Fitness Challenge.

Students are encouraged to attend as many group fitness classes as possible this month. Prizes, which have not yet been decided, will be distributed to the top four performers.

"Our hope is that November Fitness challenge will get people to try new classes and come to classes more often," said Sara Coleman, a fitness assistant and class instructor.

The incentive is to get people into the habit of attending classes, Coleman said. Group fitness classes are about helping people reach their goal, she said.

"Having an instructor and a group fitness class presents you with new ideas," Coleman said. "And going to a class gives you a whole new workout."

The challenge is held in November because participation in classes drops drastically between October and November, Coleman said. Participation in classes is tracked weekly and monthly, she said.

Seth Hickerson, assistant director of programs, said that November Fitness Challenge was a good opportunity for people to experience the different classes the Weinstein Center has to offer. The gym staff would like to see people becoming regulars and sticking with the classes, he said.

Hickerson said he would have liked to see an increase in student participation in fitness classes because it was important for people to take care of themselves, especially during the holiday season when eating and exercise habits might change for the worse.

"There's a social aspect to group fitness classes," Hickerson said. "It's fun to work out with friends or staff that may share a similar goal with you."

No class registration or commitment is required, Hickerson said.

"You don't have to put a lot of thought into it," Hickerson said. "You show up and are led by a certified professional.

"The variety and different formats of classes is beneficial. We've got something for everybody - you don't know what you like until you try it."

Last year's top winner, Nina Ashley, coordinator of the gift planning program, went to 33 classes.

A detailed class schedule can be found online. Punch cards can be picked up from the staff of member services located at the front desk of the Weinstein Center starting Nov. 1 and will be turned into Coleman on Dec. 1.

Contact reporter Brooke Knetzger at brooke.knetzger@richmond.edu