Richmond vs. Wake Forest first-half analysis

First-half score: University of Richmond- 33, Wake Forest University- 29

Important Stats:UR's Derrick Williams (7-9 FTs, 14 pts, 5 rebounds), Alonzo Nelson-Ododa (8 pts, 2 blocks), Wake Forest- 4 blocks, 10 turnovers, Richmond has 25 attempts to Wake's 17.

Analysis: Williams is not only the main reason Richmond is ahead in this game, but I'd go as far as to say the Spiders would be down big if he wasn't playing tonight. He's physically imposing his will and getting to the line against a team in Wake Forest that has a lot more size than Richmond. If he can get more of his shots to fall in the second half, he could finish with the best game of his UR career. The Demon Deacons are doing a good job at limiting the Spider guards, who usually carry the offense. UR's leading scorer, Darien Brothers, has just three points, which came on the first possession of the game. Cedrick Lindsay, Kendall Anthony and Wayne Sparrow combined for just 2 points on 1-9 shooting. Wake's length inside and outside is causing them major problems, as the Demon Deacons aren't just getting blocks, but also altering shots completely. Freshman Nelson-Ododa had probably his best half of his short career, with several veteran moves on offense and defense. Wake used a quick 5-0 run at the end of the half to get back into this game.

What to look for in the second half: Look for UR coach Chris Mooney to keep having the guards feed Williams. Wake doesn't have an answer for the big man, and there's no reason the Spiders should get away from that. Also look for Nelson-Ododa to play more in this half than he usually does in the second half.

Contact staff writer David Weissman at david.weissman@richmond.edu