Spiders pick up win, 51-46, over Bonnies in A-10 home opener

The University of Richmond's women's basketball team triumphed over St. Bonaventure, 51-46, Wednesday night.

Senior Ryann Dannelly recorded the first double-double of her career. She scored 12 points and grabbed 13 rebounds.

"We showed that when we commit and practice as a team we can come out on top," said Dannelly. "I think the communication on defense was what did it."

Junior Kristina King also led the Spiders with her first career double-double, with 11 points and 10 rebounds. Senior Rachael Bilney scored 12 points.

During the first half of the game, the Spiders held a consistent lead over St. Bonaventure, ending the first period with a score of 27-16.

In the second period, St. Bonnie's caught up to the Spiders as Richmond's offense weakened, and the Bonnies scored seven points in seven minutes. At the 10:24 mark the two teams were tied at 33-all.

"St. Bonnie's is always a really strong team," Dannelly said. "They never give up."

Nonetheless, the Spiders recovered with Senior Sam Bilney's three in the corner which put the team ahead once more with a score of 43-36. Bilney also had six key rebounds in the final minutes of the game.

With less than a minute left in the game, Rachael Bilney made four free throws that resulted in a 51-46 win for the Spiders.

"Our upperclassmen had been challenged coming into the game," said head coach Michael Shafer. "But every one of them made big plays for us at some point in the game."

The next game for the Spiders will be in the Bronx against the Fordham Rams on Sunday.

Contact reporter Brooke Knetzger at brooke.knetzger@richmond.edu