Weinstein Center helping students keep New Year's resolutions

In order to help students keep up with their health and fitness related New Year's resolutions, the Weinstein Center for Recreation and Wellness held a Resolution Solutions event on Tuesday, Jan. 15.

The event consisted of multiple information stations where gym members could ask questions and learn the resources available to keep their resolutions. The stations included athletic trainer assessments, personal trainers, sport club information, intramural information, information about the Outdoor Adventure program, equipment demonstrations, nutrition sessions and on-campus Weight Watchers.

"We want to recognize our gym members and show our appreciation by letting them know what the gym has to offer with classes, equipment and programs," said Cynthia McMillan, manager of Member Services at the Weinstein Center. "This is our fifth year doing an event like this," she said. "It was previously an open house, but this year we wanted to try to get more involved with members."

To get you started on your fitness resolutions, personal trainer SanDee Gammon had some tips to offer. "Get into the gym, because getting here is half the battle," she said. "Be sure to use your resources," she said, referencing the fitness classes and our on campus dietician, Karen Hensley. "And once you're here, the gym has a social atmosphere, so working out can be fun," Gammon added.

But what if you get well into the year and find yourself less motivated to keep your resolution? Gammon had a tip for that as well. "Find something you like, because if you like it you'll stick to it," she said. "If you don't like it, jump onto something else, and if you need help with a piece of equipment always feel free to ask," Gammon said.

To promote the event the Weinstein Center had multiple giveaways, including water bottles, key chains, hand sanitizer pens and t-shirts. "We decided to give out t-shirts here at the event as well as through our new twitter with the hashtag #URresolutionsolutions," said Kelly Sprouse, the operations coordinator for the Weinstein Center. "You can follow us at www.twitter.com/UR_RecWell," she added.

Contact reporter Mia Webber at mia.webber@richmond.edu