Sunday, May 12, 2024

5k held to support suicide awareness

On Saturday, March 23, the "Emotions in Motion SAVE 5K" will start at the Robins Center in support of Suicide Awareness Voices of Education, sophomore Melissa Diamond said.

Diamond's aunt works for SAVE and has been coordinating with the university and her community to bring an event to campus to raise money for the organization, she said. All of the proceeds from the 5-kilometer run will go to the SAVE organization, which promotes education for mental illness and provides services to people who know someone who has committed suicide, Diamond said.

Diamond and her roommate, Megan Kroger, have been collecting donations from local businesses and working with Anthony Crenshaw from the Office of Student Activities, Diamond said. Kroger wanted to get involved because she believed raising awareness was an important issue, she said. Mental illness and suicide are things that anyone can relate to, she said.

The women have collected $1,000 in raffle donations and certificates from businesses, including Westhampton Drycleaners, Yapple, Noodles & Company, Panera, Embassy Suites and Martin's, Diamond said.

Diamond and Kroger launched a fundraising website after winter break and have already raised $615, Diamond said. A kickoff event will be held on Feb. 28 in the Tyler Haynes Commons, where, in addition to registering for the 5-kilometer run, students can sign a pledge to support and defend those with mental illness and also send thank you notes to friends, which will be delivered with a lifesaver attached, Diamond said.

The cost to participate in the 5K is $10 for students and $20 for community members, Diamond said. The goal is to have 200 to 250 people participate in the event, she said, and to raise $10,000 for SAVE.

Contact reporter Jessica Racioppi at jessica.racioppi@richmond.edu