Sharp shooting propels Spiders over VCU

The Richmond women's basketball team made 12 three-pointers on its way to defeating cross-town rival, VCU, 66-62, Wednesday at the Robins Center.

The game was a memorable night for sisters Sam and Rachael Bilney, who combined to score 31 of the team's points, on nine of 16 shooting from three-point range. Sam's 14 points and four three-pointers were both season highs.

With 7:09 remaining in the second half, Rachael made her 190th career three-point shot, moving her into second place on the all-time list. Earlier this week, in a win against UMass, Rachael both scored her 1,000th career point and took third place on the all-time three-point list.

"I had no idea I had taken second until I heard it over the speakers," Rachael said. "After last game, they told me I had taken third, but I didn't realize I was so close to second."

First place is held by former Spider, Julie Jones, who made 309 three-point shots during her career at Richmond from 1988-1992. Rachael said that even though it would be nearly impossible to take first, she was happy with second place.

The Spiders have been successful from three-point range for most of the season, so the 12 shots made were not out of character, junior guard Becca Wann said. The team moved the ball well and found open shooters, who were able to make the important shots.

"We knew they were going to play zone," Wann said. "So we knew that if we made the extra pass, someone would be open."

The players called the game with VCU a rivalry, comparing it to the men's game, which draws national attention each year. The Spiders have won the last five match-ups.

"This game was a huge deal for us," Wann said. "This game had a championship feel, despite our records."

Richmond was able to hold off VCU, despite being outrebounded 43-26 and sending the Rams to the free throw line 24 times, compared to only eight times for the Spiders.

The game was tight for most of the game, with the largest lead of the first half being only five points for either team. Richmond was able to break the lead open in the second half, as a 12-1 run increased the lead to 14 with just more than seven minutes remaining.

VCU mounted a late rally to make the game close towards the end of regulation, but were unable to take back the lead.

The Spiders extend their win streak to two games, and will now head on the road to play Butler, on Saturday, in the first meeting between the two schools.

Contact reporter JR Riddick at jr.riddick@richmond.edu