Dean Bagranoff nominated as Influential Woman of VA for 2013

Dean Nancy Bagranoff feels honored and privileged to have been nominated as one of Virginia Lawyers Media's most "Influential Women of Virginia" for 2013, she said.

Bagranoff, along with 43 other nominees, have been selected to be interviewed and profiled in a special publication of "Virginia Lawyers Weekly" on May 20. All honorees will be introduced at a gala luncheon on May 16.

Bagranoff feels that the most wonderful part of her job is having the opportunity to influence young lives through teaching and the administration of teaching, she said. Being the dean of the Robins School of Business has been her favorite job thus far because she gets to work with great faculty, staff and students.

"Dean Bagranoff is quick to praise and recognize the accomplishments of students, faculty, staff and fellow administrators," Laura Thorpe, student service coordinator said, "while encouraging and inspiring those around her to the highest level of professionalism and excellence."

In 10 years, Bagranoff is not sure where she will be because she chooses to look ahead year by year. "I always feel that I want to do the job justice," Bagranoff said. The Robins School of Business is one of the best places she has ever worked at and she hopes to continue with the goals they have set, she said.

Dean Bagranoff has worked very hard to improve our student job placement services and industry connections, Associate Dean Bob Nicholson said. She developed the speaker series and other activities within the RSB that have greatly enriched students' experiences.

Bagranoff has committed her time to several different jobs and committees throughout her career. She was the dean and a professor of accounting at Old Dominion University's College of Business and Public Administration from 2003-2010 and served as the president of the information systems section of the American Accounting Association in 2009-2010.

She has also served on BB&T's Norfolk Advisory Board and on the boards of the Virginia Maritime Heritage Foundation; Organization of Women in International Trade, Hampton Roads Chapter; Economics Club of Hampton Roads; CIVIC Leadership Institute of Hampton Roads and Hampton Roads Chamber of Commerce.

Despite all of her previous positions, Bagranoff said her favorite is her current position as dean of the Robins Business School.

Bagranoff has strengthened the undergraduate curriculum and student organizations, Nicholson said. "She has created a Dean's Suite which is friendly and welcoming to everyone in the Robins School family and guests," Nicholson said. "The Dean has a very collegial leadership style."

Bagranoff served as a professor and department chair for years and was told by her colleagues that she would one day be a dean, she said. Bagranoff loves leadership roles and believes there is a lot you can learn to lead, mostly by learning from mistakes, she said.

Junior Steph Barr had Dean Bagranoff as an Accounting 201 teacher. Outside and inside the classroom, Dean Bagranoff made an effort to get to know each person and their strengths and weaknesses, Barr said.

"I think that my biggest strength is that I generally like all people," Bagranoff said. "But that is also my weakness. I'm empathetic and as a dean, you can't always be."

On a professional level, Bagranoff upholds a demeanor and commitment to her job that influences others to have a strong work ethic, Thorpe said. On a personal level, she is always true to herself, her values and places an importance on maintaining relationships, she said.

Volunteering in the community is important to Dean Bagranoff, Thorpe said. "Last Saturday she both hosted an afternoon tea at her home for the Women's MBA group and spent the morning leading a group of volunteers painting signs for the Richmond Liberty Trail," Thorpe said.

Reading and spending time with her four children and eight grandchildren are her favorite past times, Bagranoff said.

Something that most faculty, staff and students would not know about Bagranoff is that when she lived in Norfolk, Va., her husband nominated her for chef of the week in a local paper, she said. Bagranoff was dubbed the salad queen and her salad recipes were published as well.

Contact reporter Katie Davidson at katie.davidson@richmond.edu