Delta Dodgeball raises $1,300 for St. Jude

University of Richmond's chapter of Delta Delta Delta raised $1,300 for its national philanthropy, St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, at Delta Dodgeball Wednesday night.

Twenty men's teams and six women's teams participated in the tournament. One of Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity's teams won in the men's bracket, and Kappa Alpha Theta sorority won in the women's bracket.

Every Greek organization on campus registered at least one team, said Claire Dormer, Tri Delta's philanthropy chair. Members of Richmond crew and the men's club tennis team also played, as well as a team of basketball and football players.

The brothers of Kappa Alpha Order defeated the team of basketball and football players in a tight match-up.

"None of us are really that athletic," said KA sophomore Tad McDermott, "but we were outnumbered five to three against the Dream Team in the free-for-all stage and still managed to win."

Tri Delta sister Alexa Gowdy said, "It was great to see so much support from Greek and non-Greek organizations alike."

Local businesses such as Three Monkeys, Escape Salon and Pearl's Cupcake Shoppe also contributed to the cause by donating prizes to the raffle.

Contact reporter Olivia Simons at olivia.simons@richmond.edu