Obligations affect attendance, but not mood at Greek Games

Kappa Alpha Theta and Sigma Phi Epsilon each took home first-place trophies in the fourth annual Greek Games benefiting Special Olympics Virginia on Saturday.

Theta had three teams in the competition: Theta Black, Theta Gold and Theta Kite. Theta Black won the women's bracket, which also included Kappa Kappa Gamma and two Delta Gamma teams.

Sig Ep was the only fraternity to participate in the Greek Games, and won the men's bracket against a coed team of Virginia Commonwealth University graduate students and a team of high school students who are part of Special Olympics Urban Programs.

Although the competition was intended for members of University of Richmond and Virginia Commonwealth University Greek life, no VCU fraternities or sororities participated. Several Richmond fraternities and sororities dropped out of the competition a few days or just minutes before it began because of other obligations, said junior Jen Darsie, a Special Olympics intern who organized the event.

Originally, 17 teams registered, but only nine participated, which was a little disappointing, Darsie said. The Monument 10K and Experience Richmond were also Saturday, which affected attendance, she said.

VCU fraternity and sorority members said they were unable to attend because of the Monument 10K, as well, Will Moncure, a Special Olympics intern and VCU student, said.

Although Floyd Miller, director of Special Olympics Urban Programs, said he wished more teams had participated, he was not disappointed because anytime people volunteered or helped a cause it was a positive thing.

This year's Greek Games were held on Richmond's campus for the first time, and Miller addressed competitors before he awarded trophies saying that he wanted to have the games on Richmond's campus again next year.

To increase attendance next year, Miller said he wanted to talk with the Greek life coordinators at Richmond and VCU, and pick a day that would work for everyone.

Competitors participated in an obstacle course, a "zany" relay, a jump rope contest, a 500-yard relay and tug of war.

Darsie said she was unsure of how much money was raised because she would have to factor in other donations, but she said that Theta raised $450 by entering three teams, which cost $150 each to register.

At the trophy ceremony, Miller thanked Darsie for all her work, the Greek Games really being her project.

"The fraternities and sororities who didn't make it here today really missed a treat," Miller said to the competitors. He said he hoped to get more college students involved in Special Olympics in the future.

Contact reporter Avery Shackelford at avery.shackelford@richmond.edu