University orchestra performs end-of-semester concert

The University of Richmond Symphony Orchestra, made up of both student and community musicians, performed mostly American contemporary music at a performance at 7:30 in Camp Concert Hall Wednesday night.

Everything went as planned and the musicians performed for a full audience, said Alexander Kordzaia, the orchestra's director.

Kordzaia conducted the first half of the show, and Patrick Cavalheiro, a guest conductor from Brazil, led the group for the second half. A member of the music department's faculty, Charles Staples appeared as a guest piano soloist. Staples joined the 82 musicians, an increase from the 14 that were in the orchestra when Kordzaia came to Richmond five years ago, to perform George Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue," which Kordzaia said had been his favorite piece of the night.

The orchestra also performed Leonard Bernstein's "Overture to Candide," Gioachino Rossini's "Overture to L'Italiana in Algeri" and two South American tangos.

Kordzaia said that he had chosen the pieces that were on the program. The group had rehearsed for two hours each Tuesday and Thursday since the end of January, he said. The musicians also rehearsed in sectionals, said sophomore concertmaster Leslie Kinnas.

The musicians did not work with Staples until the last four or five rehearsals, Kordzaia said, and Cavalheiro joined the group for the last two rehearsals.

The orchestra connected with Cavalheiro through the Virginia Partners of America, he said. Now that the concert has passed, the musicians will spend their time learning new music, Kordzaia said.

They will add Colombian music to their repertoire because 10 musicians, including Kinnas, will travel to Colombia in the fall to participate in the Cartagena Festival of Orchestras and Youth. The Richmond musicians will work with students from low-income public schools and perform with a professional symphony orchestra and a youth orchestra, Kordzaia said.

When the musicians return in the fall, they will perform all-new Colombian music, and original student compositions in the spring, he said. Kordzaia said that he was excited to face these new challenges, and was proud of the number of musicians in the group.

Contact reporter Jamie Edelen at jamie.edelen@richmond.edu