Rapid Recap: Richmond 21 - Maine 28

Final Score: Richmond 21 - Maine 28

What Happened: Richmond lost its third heartbreaker in its last four games tonight as Maine clung to a lead throughout much of the second half to defeat Richmond, 28-21. Richmond led at the break 10-7 and increased its lead to 13-7 at the beginning of the second half. Maine running back Nigel Jones had two rushing touchdowns in the second half to extend the Black Bears' lead to 21-13 in the 4th quarter. Richmond put together a good drive of its own and tied the game at 21 on a two-point conversion. Maine answered quickly with a 48 yard touchdown pass and Richmond could not capitalize on its final drive, which concluded with an interception in the endzone.

Spider Positives: Ben Edwards and Stephen Barnette carried much of the Spiders' offense against a good pass defense. The two combined for 258 yards on 21 receptions. In addition to his play as a receiver, Edwards led the team with 56 rushing yards. Both Edwards and Barnette made big plays when Richmond needed them and helped keep the Spiders in the game. The defense did not play great but made big plays when needed. Reggie Barnette and Wayne Pettus each had big interceptions in the endzone that altered the game's momentum.

Spider Negatives: Richmond's red-zone offense was below average, and better execution in the red-zone could have changed the outcome. Three of Richmond's first downs inside the 10 resulted in two field goals and an interception. Turnovers killed Richmond in the second half. Three interceptions in a half from Strauss is uncharacteristic of him and his mistakes were costly today. The Spider's running game was subpar, as running backs Jacobi Green and TJ Moon combined to run for 36 yards on 15 carries. It seemed whenever Richmond got some momentum in the second half, Maine always took the momentum back immediately.

Up Next: Richmond has a bye week next week and will return to action Oct. 12 at James Madison.

Contact staff writer Jack Nicholson at jack.nicholson@richmond.edu

Follow him on twitter at @URJackNicholson