Sunday, April 28, 2024

University of Richmond ranked 25th best liberal arts college

In the 2014 Liberal Arts College Rankings, U.S. News and World Report ranked the University of Richmond in a four-way tie as the 25th best liberal arts college in America: an improvement from last year's ranking in the 27th spot.

U.S. News and World Report annually releases rankings for the best national and liberal arts colleges. The schools are evaluated using a formula that "uses quantitative measures that education experts have proposed as reliable indicators of academic quality, and it's based on [their] researched view of what matters in education," according to the U.S. News and World Report website.

Also calculated in the rankings are the SAT and ACT scores of incoming freshmen, grant information and graduation rates.

U.S. News and World Report also ranked College of the Holy Cross, Oberlin College, Scripps College and the United States Air Force Academy in the 25th spot alongside Richmond.

First-year Chase Rossman said he thought the rankings were excellent publicity for the school. "I don't know if I would have found Richmond if it weren't ranked as highly as it is," said Rossman, who is from Michigan. "When I was researching colleges, the ranking definitely drew my attention."

The University of Richmond's Robins School of Business tied with the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill as the 20th best undergraduate international business program in U.S. News and World Report's rankings.

Contact reporter Sam Greenspan at sam.greenspan@richmond.edu