Spiders lose to No. 6 Towson University

Terrance West led No. 6 Towson (8-1, 4-1 CAA) to a 48-32 victory over Richmond (2-6, 0-4) Saturday in Robins Stadium.

West, who is the Football Championship Subdivision leader in rushing yards and rushing touchdowns, had a career-high 272 rushing yards, four rushing touchdowns and a receiving touchdown to give the Tigers their ninth-straight road win.

Richmond head coach Danny Rocco said a lot of West's runs had been schematically defended well, but West's physicality made it difficult to tackle him.

"He is explosive and he really refuses to go down," Rocco said.

After Richmond failed to score on its opening series, West took his second carry 79 yards, which set up his six-yard touchdown reception.

His long run was important because it got both him and the team going, West said.

Despite West's dominating performance, Richmond hung in the game for a while thanks to Richmond's passing offense. Redshirt-junior Stephen Barnette had 11 receptions for 148 yards and redshirt-senior Shane Savage had nine receptions for 63 yards and two touchdowns. Rocco said Savage, who was filling in for the injured Ben Edwards, had stepped up Saturday.

Quarterback Michael Strauss threw for 281 yards and two touchdowns, but he had two turnovers that resulted in Towson touchdowns. Christian Carpenter returned an interception 36 yards for a touchdown near the end of the first half to give the Tigers a 27-18 lead at the half.

Telvion Clark put the game out of reach early in the fourth quarter when he ripped the ball out of Strauss' hands and returned it for a touchdown, giving the Tigers a 41-18 lead.

"Honestly, I was just looking for a sack," Clark said. "Next thing I know the ball's in my hands."

Rocco said, "Anytime you give up two defensive scores against a team of this caliber, the chances of winning the game are slim to none."

Quarterback David Broadus, who was playing in his first game since being injured against Virginia Military Institute, came in for Strauss multiple times and ran for 35 yards and a touchdown on six carries out of wildcat formation.

"I think he's going to offer some spark here down the stretch," Rocco said. "I think he'll be a prominent player for us here in his future."

Rocco asked the Spiders, who have lost four consecutive games, to remain united after the game, and he believes they will do that, he said.

Contact staff writer Jack Nicholson at jack.nicholson@richmond.edu

Follow him on twitter at @URJackNicholson