Rapid Recap: Baseball breaks losing streak

The University of Richmond baseball team broke its seven-game losing streak Saturday morning with a long-awaited offensive awakening, and won 13-2 over Fairfield University.

The Richmond offense, which had averaged 5.7 hits and 2.7 runs per game over its first seven games, tallied 15 hits during the first game of the weekend series against Fairfield.

Five Spiders had multi-hit games. Sophomore Matt Dacey, third baseman, and sophomore Aaron Newman, catcher, led the offense in hits, going 3-for-5 and 3-for-3, respectively. Sophomore Tanner Stanley, centerfielder, hit his first home run of the season and batted in four runs.

Junior Jonathan de Marte, starting pitcher, gave up an unearned run in the top of the first, putting Richmond behind early, as they had been in all but one of their first seven games.

But de Marte shut down the Stags in his remaining four innings, and surrendered only two hits with four walks.

Senior Dylan Stoops relieved de Marte, pitched the remaining four innings and allowing one unearned run as well. Stoops ended the game with one of three strikeouts.

The second game of the double header is scheduled for 2:20 p.m.

Contact staff writer Erin Flynn at erin.flynn@richmond.edu