Former university dietitian holds book signing on campus

It was 2009 when the life of Carolyn Powell, former dietitian at University of Richmond, changed forever. On the night of July 5, Powell suffered from cardiac arrest that stopped her heart for more than 15 minutes. Today, she visited Richmond to sign copies of her book, “The Heart to Survive,” at the University Bookstore.

The cardiac arrest caused her brain to stop receiving oxygen for more than 15 minutes, which damaged it to the point where doctors told her family she would not be the same again.

But they were wrong.

When she woke up weeks after her heart had stopped, Powell wasn’t able to eat, dress or shower on her own. “I couldn’t take care of myself — let alone of my two children,” she said. Now, five years later, she’s a full-time mom and writer.

“My whole life had to change because of it, but not necessarily in a bad way, just different,” Powell said. “I have to use a walker now, which is fine. I would rather use a walker than be in a hospital bed, which is where the doctors said I would be.”

In her memoir, Carolyn shared her story and journey through survival and recovery. As she wrote in the introduction of the book, her purpose is to “inspire others when times are really tough, when all the hope seems lost.”

She has also published another book, “Mommy, What Is That For?” which was inspired by her two children’s reaction to her condition, according to her website. In that book she explained concepts such as a wheelchair, walker, braces, etc. in a way that children would comprehend.

When talking about Richmond, she said it had been her dream job. “I loved the atmosphere of the college campus, the students, the lake, everything is just beautiful here,” she said. However, because of her medical condition after the cardiac arrest she was no longer able to work. “But when I was here, I loved it,” she said.

Contact reporter Marta Quero at marta.quero@richmond.edu