Sirens perform annual Holiday Concert with other a cappella groups

<p></p>

The tradition of a cappella continues at University of Richmond with The Sirens' annual Holiday Concert on Dec. 3. The concert will feature all four of the university's a cappella groups – The Sirens, Choeur du Roi, The Octaves and Off the Cuff – at 9 p.m. in the Pier.

Kristen Gell, The Sirens’ president, said they were very excited for this concert. “It’s more relaxed and really gives everyone in the group a chance to be a little more in the spotlight as an individual,” she said.

The Sirens, the all-female a cappella group, will perform two sets of songs, both opening and closing the concert while the other a cappella groups will perform one set of three to four songs, Gell said. They would be singing both traditional as well as contemporary holiday hits, she said. .

Gell said this concert was usually very successful and completely filled the Pier. Besides the Family Weekend a cappella concerts, this is the only other time students get to see all four groups perform at the same event.

Chloe Zung, president of Choeur du Roi, said her coed group really enjoyed performing at this concert and singing a mix of holiday songs that range from "Oh Holy Night," – the NYSNC version – to "All My Bells Are Ringing."

Senior Katy Norfleet has attended two of The Sirens' annual Holiday Concerts and plans to attend this year. Norfleet said this lighthearted event was the perfect way to spread holiday cheer and take a break from the library. “I’m a huge fan of a cappella, and I can’t wait for this year’s concert,” Norfleet said.

Zung said students should attend this concert not only because it was one of the only times all the groups perform together, but also The Sirens have always done a great job organizing the event. “I’m sure there’s going to be surprises in store knowing The Sirens,” Zung said. “They always have a few tricks up their sleeves.”

Julia Dowling, president of Off the Cuff, said she thought this was a nice campus event for students to come to because it gave everyone a break “during the stress of finals.”

Dowling said her coed group really loved the Christmas concert. “It’s just a great way to get all the groups together and have some fun,” Dowling said. "We even dress up in crazy outfits like Christmas pajamas or Santa Claus.”

Conor Lemmon, president of The Octaves, said his all-male group was excited to debut a new Christmas song they had been working on for the concert. Lemmon said this concert was a great way to get people in the holiday spirit.

Contact reporter Bridget Friendly at bridget.friendly@richmond.edu