Wednesday, May 01, 2024

Live blog: Richmond vs. Fordham

Fordham misses a desperation heaver and the Spiders narrowly escape victorious over the Fordham Rams thanks in large part to the late-game play of Shawndre' Jones and a great first half by Kendall Anthony. Final score: Richmond 73, Fordham 71. Thanks for tuning in, everyone, that concludes today's game at the Robins Center.

2.2 -- Another Richmond foul forces Fordham to shoot two free throws.

4.6 -- Fordham's Thomas fouls Terry Allen and he makes both to give the Spiders a 73-70 advantage.

5.3 -- A Richmond foul sends Fordham to the line for two free throws. The Rams' Mandell Thomas makes both and it's a one-point Spider lead.

10.9 -- A tricky Richmond inbounds play gets Terry Allen free, but he is quickly fouled. He misses the first but makes the second to make it a three-point Spider lead. Richmond uses its last timeout.

13.2 -- Fordham uses its last timeout after Paschall hits a contested, off-balance 3-pointer to bring Fordham within two. The Spiders lead 70-68.

22.7 -- Shawndre' Jones hits one of two free throws, forgivable in light of his recent heroics.

23.4 -- After a Fordham travel, the Spiders will take over possession still leading by four.

31.9 -- Shawndre' Jones simply cannot miss from deep, coming through with yet another enormous 3-pointer to put the Spiders up 69-65.

59.0 -- Mandell Thomas's jumper rims around, but goes down to bring the Rams within a point.

1:47 -- Paschall lands out of bounds trying to catch the inbound pass giving Richmond a chance to make it a two-possession game.

1:48 -- Terry Allen drives and dishes to Shawndre' Jones who drills another huge 3-pointer for his team. The Spiders call timeout ahead of the Rams 66-63.

2:07 -- Paschall travels while driving to give Richmond a chance to take the lead.

2:34  -- Cline is fouled trying to catch an inbounds pass and connects on both his free throws to tie the game at 63.

3:10 -- Terry Allen misses the front end of a one-and-one, allowing Fordham to take over up two points.

3:19 -- Cline commits the Spiders' 10th foul, putting the Rams in the double bonus. Fordham's Chris Sengfelder hits both free throws to give Fordham a 63-61 lead.

3:32 -- Fordham calls for time after Richmond ties the game thanks to a TJ Cline fastbreak layup. The teams are tied at 61 approaching the end of regulation.

4:25 -- Paschall hits two free throws for the Rams, but Terry Allen scores from inside to keep the Spider deficit to two points.

4:55 -- Deion Taylor gets a steal in the backcourt and finds Kendall Anthony who kicks to S. Jones for another 3-pointer. The Spiders trail 59-57.

5:04 -- Shawndre' Jones hits a timely 3-pointer to bring the Richmond bakc within five points as Richmond calls its second timeout.

5:18 -- At the penultimate media timeout, the Spiders trail the Rams 59-51. They've shot just 33 percent from the field and a paltry 19 percent from deep.

7:21 -- The Rams' Chris Sengfelder hits a pair of free throws to give Fordham a 56-51 lead.

7:21 -- At the media timeout, Fordham leads 54-51. Richmond's Anthony and Fordham's Paschall have been key contributors for their teams, each with 19 points.

9:46 -- Following a steal, Kendall Anthony's transition layup is blocked, but Josh Jones is there to put it back.

9:56 -- Shawndre' Jones nails a 3-pointer for the Spiders to bring them back within five. At a Fordham timeout, Richmond trails 52-47.

11:28 -- Fordham's Paschall is fouled on a put-back dunk attempt and extends the Fordham lead to eight after making both of his foul shots.

12:11 -- After the two teams trade points, TJ Cline converts an and-one of his own, making his foul shot after a nice layup. Richmond trails 50-44 following the score.

12:50 -- Fordham's Paschall makes another strong move, maneuvering through contact to sink a tricky layup. He makes the free throw and the Rams lead by nine.

13:26 -- After a great Richmond block on a seemingly wide-open Fordham transition dunk, officials call a foul against the Spiders. Fordham makes both free throws and leads 45-39.

13:51 -- Fordham responds with a deep 3-pointer, extending its lead to four.

14:12 -- Paschall emphatically rejects a shot at the hoop, but Richmond scores off the inbound pass to make it 40-39.

14:27 -- After pesky Richmond defense knocks the ball away, Fordham's Eric Paschall has enough, picking it up, driving to the hoop, and making a layup despite a foul. He hits the free throw to give the Rams a 40-27 lead.

14:55 -- Terry Allen grabs a tough offensive rebound and lets Kendall Anthony take over and that he does, hitting a contested mid-range jumper. Following the Richmond score, Shawndre' Jones intercepts the Fordham inbound pass and lays it in to tie the game at 37. Fordham calls for time to compose itself.

15:56 -- Anthony sinks them both for his 16th and 17th points, but Richmond trails Fordham 37-33.

15:56 -- At the official timeout, the Spiders have a chance to cut the six-point deficit with Kendall Anthony heading to the line to shoot a pair of free throws.

16:24 -- Terry Allen puts back his own miss to stop the Fordham run. The Spiders trail 37-31.

17:37 -- Fordham's Mandell Thomas hits a tough over-the-shoulder shot to extend the Ram lead to six points.

18:20 -- After another Ram score, Deion Taylor makes one of two free throws after almost putting down a strong dunk over the Fordham defense. Richmond grabs the offensive rebound, trailing 33-29.

19:07 -- Fordham scores on an easy dunk off an inbound to start the half, streaking past a careless Richmond defense.

The Spiders' Josh Jones misses a desperation heave from near half court so Richmond trails 29-28 going into the locker room after a very back-and-forth first half. Kendall Anthony has 15 points, leading all scorers, but the rest of the Spiders are shooting 5-20, a number that needs to improve if the Spiders are going to pull ahead in the second half.

1:09 -- Josh Jones hits a put-back shot to put the Spiders up by one, but Fordham's Jon Severe makes two foul shots and Fordham leads 29-28.

2:18 -- Terry Allen makes a strong move to get a layup, but the Spiders give up a transition layup so Fordham maintains its 27-26 lead.

3:23 -- Fordham takes back the lead on a jumper from the top of the key. The Spiders trail 25-24.

3:53 -- Last media timeout of the first half. TJ Cline misses badly on a 3-pointer and Fordham will take over when time resumes with a chance to take its first lead since the 8:29 mark.

4:08 -- After an offensive rebound, Fordham's Eric Paschall blows by the Spiders for a vicious dunk. The Rams score on their next possession as well to make it a 24-23 game.

4:56 -- Deion Taylor almost slams down a thunderous alley-oop over a Fordham defender but has to settle for two free throws instead. He makes one out of two and Richmond leads 24-19.

5:58 -- Anthony hits another 3-pointer and the Spiders lead by four points. His teammates have been good at screening to create space for him and he's certainly taken advantage.

6:11 -- At the media timeout, Fordham trails Richmond 20-19 after the Rams converted on an off-balance shot with the shot clock expiring. Kendall Anthony's 12 points has been enough to give Richmond a narrow lead thus far, but Richmond needs to get some offense from down low in order to control the game.

7:08 -- Kendall Anthony hits a mid-range shot to extend the Spiders' lead to three points. He has 12 points with plenty of time to play in the first and has certainly been the difference in the game thus far.

8:29 -- The teams continue to trade free throws. This time its Richmond's Terry Allen connecting on both of his. The Spiders lead 18-17.

8:57 -- Fordham's Ryan Rhoomes makes two free throws to give Fordham a one-point lead again. Rhoomes has six points and six rebounds for the Rams.

9:45 -- Anthony hits a pair of foul shots to put Richmond back on top, 16-15. Anthony has 10 points as the two teams trade scores.

10:47 -- Fordham takes a two-point lead on a jumper, but Kendall Anthony quickly gives Richmond its first lead of the night with his second 3-pointer.

11:43 -- At the media timeout, the game is still tied, 11-11. Fordham's Eric Paschall leads all scorers with five points.

12:21 -- Anthony connects on a 3-pointer and Deion Taylor hits a layup to tie the game at 11. Fordham calls its first timeout of the game.

14:42 -- Fordham's Chris Sengfelder scores on a transition layup to extend the Rams' lead to 9-6. The Rams maintain possession after a jump ball.

15:45: Richmond's Terry Allen hits a jumper to bring the Spiders within one. Fordham still leads 7-6.

16:15 -- TJ Cline follows up with a post move leading to an easy shot on the next Richmond possession. The Spiders have the ball again after a Fordham carry.

16:55 -- The Spiders give up consecutive scores in the paint, but Richmond's Kendall Anthony responds with a layup despite a foul. He misses the free throw and his Spiders trial 7-2 early on.

18:33 -- Fordham strikes first, scoring on a second-chance 3-pointer. The Rams lead 3-0.

Hey everyone, my name is Walter Abrams and I'll be covering tonight's men's basketball game between the Spiders and the Fordham Rams. The opening tip is approximately 15 minutes away so be sure to stay tuned for live updates and analysis throughout the game.