Saturday, May 18, 2024

In the Know: Richmond prepares for parents weekend

In The Know is a weekly brief that highlights events and happenings around University of Richmond. This week we bring you a special edition explaining some of the events going on during Family Weekend.

Campus Community Open Houses

Various open houses will be held on Friday, Oct. 2 from 1-3 p.m. across campus to give families and students the opportunity to meet university faculty and staff members and ask questions about what is offered. The open houses include the Academic Skills Center, the Bonner Center for Civic Engagement, Careers Services, Office of International Education, the Speech Center and the Writing Center.

President’s Lecture- Liberal Arts Education and America’s Promise

President Ronald A. Crutcher will be holding a lecture on the importance of a liberal arts education and will reflect upon his first four months as president of the university on Friday, Oct. 2 from 4-5 p.m. at Booker Hall in the Camp Concert Hall. Following the talk there will be time for questions and a reception held in the Modlin Center for the Arts Courtyard.

The Norman Magic Experience

The Norman Magic Experience, which was named “America’s Best” by Campus Activities Magazine, will be performing on Friday, Oct. 2 from 9-10 p.m. in the Alice Haynes Room in the Tyler Haynes Commons.

The show stars national touring magician Norman Ng who has been performing throughout the US for over 23 years and has been seen by millions of people on TV, online and live on stage. Ng was also a featured magician on the popular CW TV show, Penn and Teller: Fool us. Tickets can be purchased in advanced with Family Weekend registration for $7, or at the door $10 per person.

Richmond Football hosts University of Maine

The day's festivities will kick off with a pre-game picnic at the Westhampton Green, or in the case of rain the Heilman Dining Center, on Saturday, Oct. 3 from 1-3 p.m. for $20 per person. The picnic will include food, outdoor games and live music by Richmond’s student jazz combo.

The game will be held in the E. Claiborne Robins Stadium as Richmond hosts the University of Maine Black Bears. Kick-off time is set for 3:30 p.m., but is subject to change. Tickets are $35 per person and can be purchased online. Families interested can go to richmondspiders.com to purchase tickets by entering the promotional code FAMILY2015. Students will be able to reserve tickets for the student section using the standard student ticketing process.

Richmond's four A Capella groups to perform multiple concerts

There will be two a capella concerts on Saturday, Oct. 3. The first will be a daytime show held at Booker Hall in the Camp Concert Hall from 12-1 p.m., and the second will be an evening show held in the Greek Theater, or in the case of rain Cannon Memorial Chapel, from 9-10:30 p.m.

The concert will be performed by Choeur du Roi, the Octaves, Off the Cuff and the Sirens, and they will be singing both nostalgic favorites as well as original pieces. The event will cost either $8 in advance, or $10 at the door. The proceeds from the event will benefit the student a cappella groups.

Arts Around the Lake

Approximately 75 local artists will be featuring their works at this year’s 36th annual Arts Around the Lake on Sunday, Oct. 4 from 11a.m.-5 p.m. In addition to artworks, there will be select concessions. The event will be held on Lakeview Lane and Richmond Way, or in the case of rain it will be held at the Ambulatory level of Robins Center.

The admission is free and proceeds from the event will benefit the Westhampton College Alumnae Richmond Club Scholarship Fund which provides a scholarship to a local student to attend Richmond and also provides funding to the regional arts community.

Contact news editor Helaine Ridilla at helaine.ridilla@richmond.edu