In The Know: Student governments hold elections, sororities to host philanthropy events plus more

In The Know is a weekly brief that highlights events and happenings around University of Richmond

Vietnam War Photo Gallery Opens Wednesday

"Robert Hodierne: Vietnam War Photographs," a gallery showcasing the work of Hodierne, will open at 6p.m. Wednesday with a presentation by Hodierne, the head of the journalism department, in the Brown Alley Room. The event will then shift to the Lora Robins Gallery where visitors will catch the first glimpse of some war photos captured by Hodierne, who was the youngest credentialed reporter to cover the Vietnam War. The gallery will remain open until Jan. 26 and coincides with The University of Richmond’s journalism department’s film festival, “Documenting the Vietnam War: Journalism, Scholarship and Film.”

Claudia Rankine opens writers' series

University of Richmond’s Writers Series kicks off Wednesday when Claudia Rankine will visit campus to discuss her award-winning book Citizen: An American Lyric in the Jepson Alumni Center at 7 p.m. Sept. 16. Rankine’s book, which uses an array of essays, poetry, cultural criticism and visual images, “examines everyday encounters with racism in the second person, forcing the reader -- regardless of identity -- to engage a narrative haunted by the deaths of Freddie Gray, Michael Brown, and Trayvon Martin among many others,” a promotional flier reads. Three other authors part of this series will visit Richmond in October

RCSGA and WCGA hold elections

The Richmond College Student Government Association and Westhampton College Government Association are holding elections for the Class of 2019 today. First-year Richmond College students are voting voting for seven senators and one class representative, and polls will be open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. WCGA polls will be open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Voting will take place online here.

Students can work at UCI Road World Championships

Richmond students have the the opportunity to work the Men’s Elite Race of the UCI Road World Championships, which will start on campus on September 27, by joining the UR Fan Brigade. Members of the Fan Brigade will distribute giveaway items to visitors, and will receive a commemorative t-shirt. Members must be willing to wake up early, though, as they will be needed from 7-10 a.m. on race day. Students can register by Friday, September 18 here.

Two sororities to host annual philanthropy events

This week two sororities, Pi Beta Phi and Kappa Kappa Gamma, will hold their fall philanthropy events. At 8 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 17, Pi Phi will be holding their annual Lip Sync competition in the Alice Haynes Room. The theme is “Throwback Thursday” and groups representing various campus organizations will show off their best dance moves. On Friday, Sept. 18 from 3-5 p.m., Kappa will be hosting their annual Kappa Kourtside tennis tournament on the Richmond College Tennis Courts near the E. Claiborne Robins Stadium. Anyone can sign up in teams of two and all proceeds go towards Kappa’s national philanthropy Reading is Fundamental.

Contact editor-in-chief Jack Nicholson at jack.nicholson@richmond.edu and managing editor Brooke Harty at brooke.harty@richmond.edu