Thursday, May 16, 2024

In the Know: where to get your flu shot; actor Jeffrey Tambor on campus, and more

In the Know is a weekly brief that highlights events and happenings around University of Richmond.

Provost Jacquelyn S. Fetrow receives Penn State Alumni Fellow Award

Jacquelyn Fetrow, University of Richmond provost and vice president of academic affairs, was awarded a prestigious Penn State Alumni Fellow Award by the Alumni Association on Oct. 21.

The award recognizes leaders in their respective fields who showcase a commitment to service and engagement, specifically by returning to the university to lend their expertise to students, faculty and administrators. Earlier this fall, Fetrow visited with faculty and students for a full day and gave the address at opening convocation at Penn State College of Medicine in Hershey, Pa.

Fetrow earned her Ph.D in biological chemistry from Penn State.

Coffee with Crutcher 

Join President Ronald Crutcher and his wife, Betty Crutcher, for the first "Coffee with Crutcher" on Tuesday, Oct. 27. Enjoy complimentary coffee and donuts while having an informal conversation with the Crutchers leading up to Inauguration on Friday. The event runs from 8:15-9:15 a.m. on the patio outside of the Tyler Hanes Commons on the Richmond College side, closest to Boatwright Library. 

Modlin Center hosts veteran performer Jeffrey Tambor

Jeffrey Tambor has starred in countless Broadway shows, TV series and films, including "Transparent," "Arressted Development" and "The Hangover." The Modlin Center for the Arts will host Tambor on Wednesday, Oct. 28 for a seminar-like presentation titled “Performing for Your Life: An Evening with Jeffrey Tambor.”

Tambor’s personal and captivating lecture style aims to inspire audience members to recognize and dismiss their greatest fears in life.

The seminar will begin at 7:30 p.m. in the Camp Concert Hall located in the Booker Hall of Music. Tickets for students are free. Information on additional ticket pricing is available here

Be a Flu Fighter: Get your 2015 flu shot in Gottwald

Students can get their recommended yearly flu shot on campus in the Gottwald Science Building. Flu shots will be administered Tuesday through Thursday this week from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. The cost is $25 in cash or Spider Dollars. Insurance reimbursement information will also be provided.

Create a sexual assault design idea for the chance to win an iPad

From now until Thanksgiving break, students have the opportunity to create a graphic, picture or other design idea that promotes awareness and prevention of sexual assault. The winning design may be featured on campus posters, t-shirts, social media, websites and more. The creator of the chosen design will win an iPad 2.

Design ideas should be submitted to Beth Curry at ecurry@richmond.edu.

Contact news assistant Ashlee Korlach at ashlee.korlach@richmond.edu