Thursday, May 02, 2024

In The Know: CollegeHumor founder to speak on campus, plus more

<p></p>

In The Know is a weekly brief that highlights events and happenings around University of Richmond.

Co-founder of CollegeHumor to speak in Robins Executive Speaker Series

Josh Abramson, ’03, co-founder of CollegeHumor, Vimeo and Teepublic will speak Thursday, Oct. 15 at 6 p.m. in the Ukrop Auditorium. Abramson will be talking about his entrepreneurial journey, including his experience starting CollegeHumor during his freshmen year at University of Richmond.

Abramson is speaking as a part of the Robins Executive speaker series which seeks to strengthen the connections between Richmond students, the school and the community. The lecture is free and those interested can register by Wednesday, Oct. 14 here.

Win a bike by voting for favorite Tyler’s bowl

For Tyler’s Bowl-a-thon, they had a new bowl on the menu each week, including the chicken curry bowl, steak fajita bowl, pasta and meatball bowl and a chicken pot pie bowl. Now that the four weeks are over, it’s time to vote. The bowl with the most “strike” votes will have a permanent spot on the menu for the rest of the semester, and one lucky voter will win a new bike.

Students can vote by filling out a paper ballot in Tyler’s, voting online at UR Heard or scanning the QR code located on signs around campus. The winning voter and bowl will be announced Monday, Oct. 19.

Reclaiming our African American Culture

This month’s TAKE 30 discussion at UR Downtown is on “Reclaiming our African Past” on Thursday, Oct. 15 at 4:30 p.m. The discussion will be led by Brian Palmer and Erin Hollaway Palmer, journalists and creators of UR Downtown’s current exhibit, “All Our Sorrows Heal: Restoring Richmond’s East End Cemetery.”

TAKE 30 are 30-minute conversations led by Richmond professors and community members that aim to consider important questions for our region today. This event is free and open to the public, and transportation is available via the UR Downtown Shuttle which will leave campus at 4 p.m. and return to campus at 5:45 p.m.

Brown Bag discussion: “Transcending Gender from a Legal Perspective”

As a part of UR Comes Out: A Celebration of LGBTQ History month, this week’s Brown Bag discussion is on “Transcending Gender from a Legal Perspective: Issues and Options.” It will be held at 12:30 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 16 in THC 305. The discussion will be held with Afton Bradley, Trans Health Services Program Manager, Fan Free Clinic, and Bary Hausrath, Board Secretary, Virginia Equality Bar Association. It is free and open to the public and pizza will be served.

What is “Whatsgoodly”?

Whatsgoodly is an, “anonymous, location-based social-polling application that allows users to find out how those around them truly think and feel,” according to whatsgoodly.com. Basically, it’s Yik Yak except with polls.

This app was created in early 2015 and the company’s mission is to, “promote dialogue, community insight, and top humor,” according to its Facebook page. Whatsgoodly is free on the App Store and it is relatively new on the Richmond campus.

Contact news editor Helaine Ridilla at helaine.ridiliia@richmond.edu