In The Know: Homecoming Edition

In The Know is a weekly brief that highlights events and happenings around University of Richmond. This week we bring you a special edition explaining some of the events going on during Homecoming Weekend.

Hallo-Win Week

In honor of Homecoming and Halloween CampusQuad is sponsoring daily prizes. You can search #hallowinWeek on Campus Quad for more information on the daily prizes.

Homecoming dinner at Heilman Dining Center

The Heilman Dining Center is celebrating homecoming with a themed dinner Tuesday, Oct. 27 at 5-7 p.m. The dinner will include favorite tailgating foods including pizza, nachos, meatball subs, brats & kraut, pretzels, corn dogs, a super potato bar, wings and more. It will also be a chance to meet the Homecoming Nominees while they compete in a pop culture trivia game. Attendees can also compete in the game for gift cards.

Comedy Show: Dakaboom

Dakaboom is a comedy/music duo from New York and Los Angeles that is described as “postmodern vaudeville” by SpiderBoard. The duo does a capella, loop stations, stand-up sketch comedy, crowd interaction and several other musical genres. They will be performing Wednesday, Oct. 28 at 7:30 p.m. in the Alice Haynes room and the event is free to students.

Inauguration of President Ronald Crutcher

President Ronald Crutcher will be inaugurated Friday, Oct. 30 at 11 a.m. in the Robins Center followed by an inauguration luncheon at 12:30 p.m. on the Millhiser Green.

Following the inauguration and luncheon, Crutcher will be moderating an inaugural symposium, “America’s Unmet Promise-The Imperative for Equity in Higher Education” which will be held at the Camp Concert Hall in the Booker Hall of Music. Panel participants include Estela Mara Bensimon, The Rossier School of Education, University of Southern California, Professor Lani Guinier, Bennett Boskey, Professor of Law, Harvard Law School, and author of “The Tyranny of the Meritocracy: Democratizing Higher Education in America,” and Dr. Carol Geary Schneider, President, Association of American Colleges & Universities.

The events are free and open to the public, but registration is required. Those interested can register here.

Homecoming Concert

DJ Matt Purdy and Chiddy Bang will be performing Friday, Oct. 30 at 8 p.m. on the Westhampton Green for the Homecoming Concert.

Chidera Anamege, also known by his stage name Chiddy Bang, is an American hip hop artist whose sound is based on the fusion of hip hop and alternative music. Some of his most popular songs include “Opposite of Adults,” “Mind Your Manners” and “Ray Charles."

DJ Matt Purdy, RC ’14, will be the opener for the second year in a row. He has also opened for acts including Sammy Adams, Switch from Major Lazer, Caked Up, and Gent & Jawns, and has placed as a regional finalist in a national DJ competition. He is also currently obtaining his Master’s degree at Drexel University, pursuing becoming a physician.

Admission is free, but students need their SpiderCards to enter.

Football game and tailgate: UR vs. Albany

The Spiders will play the Albany Great Danes Saturday, Oct. 31 at 3:30 p.m. at the Robins Stadium. The game is free for students, $15 for faculty staff and community members, and half price for alums.

A Pre-Game Tailgate featuring a live DJ will be held at New Fraternity Row from 11:30 a.m.- 3:30 p.m. for all Richmond students. There are limited parking passes, half of which will be reserved for individual students, and half for student organizations. To enter the parking pass lottery, click here.

Women’s soccer: Richmond vs. VCU

The women’s soccer team is celebrating its 20th season and the final home game of the regular season Sunday, Nov. 1 p.m. in the Robins Stadium. It will also be senior day, so the seniors on the team will be honored. The game is free and open to the public.

Homecoming Nominations

You can vote for the Homecoming King and Queen on OrgSync by midnight on Thursday, Oct. 29. Winners will be announced at the Saturday football game during halftime.

Homecoming King Nominees

Matt Logan, Sigma Phi Epsilon

Andrew Felix, Theta Chi

Jake Raboy, Finance Society

Aaron D. Brown, UR Smash

Jeffrey Karow, Richmond College Student Government Association

Liam Mulcahy, Kappa Alpha Order

Alec Cobb, Lambda Chi Alpha

Kieno Jones, Alpha Phi Alpha

Garrett Fundakowski, Camp Kessem

Shaquille Christmas, West Indian Lynk

Homecoming Queen Nominees

Amy Shick, Alpha Phi Omega

Abby Huth, Kappa Alpha Theta

Nicole Marzziotti, Delta Gamma

Molly Rossi, Forum Magazine

Sarah Hancock, Kappa Kappa Gamma

Cindy Portillo, Spanish and Latino Student Alliance

Brennan Rankin, Choeur du Roi

Hadleigh Glist, Pi Beta Phi

Liv Dulmage, Delta Delta Delta

Brittany McDermott, Delta Sigma Theta

Lauren Pepe, Westhampton College Government Association

Reilly Cookingham, Kappa Delta

Contact news editor Helaine Ridilla at helaine.ridilla@richmond.edu