Trump rally in Richmond ignites protest, confrontation between differing groups

<p>A protester is restrained by a police officer at a protest | Photo by Kayla Solsbak</p>

A protester is restrained by a police officer at a protest | Photo by Kayla Solsbak

Thousands of Virginians bustled into a room at Richmond International Raceway Wednesday evening to witness one of the most important races of the year: the presidential race.

Republican frontrunner Donald Trump gave an hour-long stump speech to about 5,000 people. Most of the attendees' hair was speckled with gray, though a number of young families and students were also present. Some came to see the candidate, others, the celebrity. Regardless, there was a buzz in the room.

The buzz quickly turned to hostility.

When Trump began to speak about his trademark immigration policy, a small group of protestors, some of whom attend VCU, raised signs and started chanting, "Dump Trump." The crowd initially reacted by booing the protesters, but when the chanting did not cease, some Trump supporters grew aggressive.

"Go back to Mexico," some yelled as protesters were ushered away from the stage. Others called out expletives and racial slurs. A Trump supporter spat in a protester's face.

A young woman shouted "Black power" as a police officer pulled her out of the room. Jackie Schneck, a VCU student who was not part of the protest, raised her arm and echoed the exclamation.

"[Trump is] a horrible person, and he hates immigrants," Schneck said after the protester was out of the room. She and a friend went to the rally to see "how ridiculous it is."

Trump continued to speak even as his audience's attention diverted. Once all the protesters were escorted out, focus shifted back to Trump, who touted his lead in the polls. He claimed to be leading with the Hispanic vote, to which the predominantly white audience cheered.

"We're in first place everywhere," Trump said.

A group of James Madison University students came to the rally in support of Trump, citing his character and experience as necessary for the success of the country.

"He's not afraid to say or do whatever everybody else is afraid to say or do and honestly, I respect that," Cole Breeger said. "He knows how to make money."

Alexis Reckar, a Trump supporter who drove two hours from Liberty University, expressed concern about the job market as well as security threats from groups like the Islamic State. "I really need a leader who can be a strong face for our country," she said.

However, many students did not come to show their support, and criticized not only the candidate's positions but the conduct of his supporters.

"[Discrimination] was strictly on skin color," a VCU student said. "I was with a group of tan Latino people and they were attacked. They were told 'Go back to your country' when they are clearly American citizens...I'm Latino, I'm very white, and [the Trump supporters] didn't show any aggression."

Contact features assistant Kayla Solsbak at kayla.solsbak@richmond.edu