Thursday, May 02, 2024

In The Know: Queally to moderate WOWS; CCE holds discussion on philanthropists

In The Know is a weekly brief that highlights events and happenings around University of Richmond.

CCE hosts discussion on the next generation of philanthropists

This week’s Brown Bag discussion is on, “Engaging the Next Generation of Philanthropists,” with April Auger, Tara McGee and Michael Noble. All three are members of the Leadership Metro Richmond Leadership Quest Class of 2015. The discussion will be held on Friday, February 19 from 12:30-1:25 p.m. in the Tyler Haynes Commons room 305. Free pizza will be provided and all students, staff and faculty members are welcome.

The Bonner Center for Civic Engagement created the Brown Bag Discussion Series to support the center’s mission to bring together the campus and community members in collaborative study, reflection and action to address contemporary social issues.

“Forget me not cookie” served at Tyler’s

Tyler’s is selling, “Forget Me Not” cookies as one of its weekly specials. The cookies, decorated with purple candy-coated gems and marshmallows, are 99 cents and proceeds raised will benefit the Alzheimer’s Association Campaign.

Stanford and Indiana professors to speak at Philosophy of Religion Colloquium

The Philosophy of Religion Colloquium, featuring speakers Andrew Chignell, professor of philosophy at Stanford University, and Timothy O’Connor, professor of philosophy at Indiana University, will be held Friday, February 29 from 3-6 p.m. in the Keller Hall Reception Room. This event is free and open to the public and it is co-sponsored by the Philosophy Department, The Lewis T. Booker Professor in Religion and Ethics, The Department of Religious Studies and The Office of the Chaplaincy.

Lectures include:

"Moral Arguments, Faith, and Hope," Chignell - 3-3:55 p.m.

"Explaining the Whole Shebang: the Universe, Science, and God," O'Connor - 4:05-5 p.m.

"The Current State of Philosophy of Religion," Panel Discussion - 5:15-6 p.m.

Queally to moderate Robins School of Business WOWS panel discussion

The fifth annual Word on Wall Street for the Robins Executive Speaker series will be held Thursday, February 25 at 6 p.m. in Ukrop Auditorium. WOWS is an events where a panel of financial management experts and Wall Street executives speak about their experiences in their field of work and gives students the opportunity to ask questions about the current state of the U.S. financial market. Paul Queally, RC’86, co-president of private equity firm Welsh, Carson, Anderson & Stowe, will be moderating a panel of Wall Street executives.

This event is free and open to the public and following the panel discussion will be a reception.

Nina Munk to speak as part of Jepson Leadership Forum 

Vanity Fair contributing editor and author of, “The Idealist: Jeffrey Sachs and the Quest to End Poverty,” Nina Munk will be leading a discussion on, “The Perils of Good Intention,” Wednesday, February 24 at 7 p.m. in the Jepson Alumni Center. Following the lecture will be a book sale and book signing reception. The lecture is free and open to the public, but registration is required. In order to register for the event, click here.

Contact news editor Helaine Ridilla at helaine.ridilla@richmond.edu