In The Know: Student governments to meet with provost; URPD offers women's self-defense class

In The Know is a weekly brief that highlights events and happenings around University of Richmond

Women’s Self Defense Class

DCS certified Police Defensive Tactics, who are University of Richmond police officers, will be instructing a beginner-level Women’s Basic Self Defense class. The two-hour class will teach a number of self-defense tactics including stances, strikes and pressure points. They will also be teaching techniques to escape from wrist grabs, bear hugs and chokeholds.

The class will be held Tuesday, Feb. 2 at 6 p.m. in the Keller Hall reception room and is free to all faculty, staff and students.

Icebreakers to hold monthly meeting

Icebreakers is a confidential student run discussion group for lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and queer students, as well as students that have question about sexual and/or gender identity. Their meetings are a place where students can discuss coming out, find friends and get questions about identity answered.

Their monthly meeting will be held Tuesday, Feb. 2 form 5-7 p.m. in the Tyler Haynes Commons room 325. Free pizza will also be provided.

Icebreakers is also a confidential support network for students. Those interested in confidentially reaching out to an Icebreakers facilitator can do so by emailing icebreakersur@gmail.com.

Richmond College and Westhampton College hold Provost meeting

WCGA and RCSGA will be meeting with Provost Jacquelyn Fetow Wednesday, Feb. 3 at 7 p.m in Jepson Room 118. Students are welcome to join and ask any questions they have. This event is being hosted by the Westhampton College Government Association.

First Friday

First Friday, one of Richmond's most popular arts and culture programs, is a night that showcases about 40 venues in downtown Richmond. The evening begins at UR Downtown for an art walk with refreshments and entertainment. UR downtown will be featuring student performers in the Open Arts Club during this month’s First Friday. The Open Arts Club is a place for students interested in poetry, prose, music, dance, songwriting, photography and more.

Shuttles will be running form the Tyler Haynes Commons to UR Downtown from 4-9 p.m. For more information about First Friday, click here.

ETC Update

New sushi from Sticky ToGoGo- Spicy Tuna Roll and Pretty Roll (Salmon and avocado)

Blake’s Frozen Meals- Meatloaf and mashed potatoes, Lasagna and Bolognese

Amy’s Vegetarian Options- Veggies meatloaf and gluten free mac and cheese

Do you wish that ETC carried your favorite foods? You can make it happen. Click here, then go to locations and use the UR Heard Feedback Form in order to request your favorite foods to be sold at ETC.

Contact news editor Helaine Ridilla at helaine.ridilla@richmond.edu