Posters criticizing Paul Queally hung around campus

<p>Signs hung criticizing board member Paul Queally |&nbsp;Courtesy of&nbsp;Eric Grollman.&nbsp;<em>Note: this photo was edited to blur vulgar language.</em></p>

Signs hung criticizing board member Paul Queally | Courtesy of Eric Grollman. Note: this photo was edited to blur vulgar language.

Posters criticizing Paul Queally, a University of Richmond alumnus, member of the board of trustees, and large donor to the university, were seen hanging on doors and light posts on campus Wednesday morning.

The signs were posted on every entrance of Weinstein Hall this morning, but all of which have been removed, Eric Grollman, professor of sociology, wrote in an email.

"The University is fully supportive of and encourages the exercise of free expression," said Cynthia Price, Richmond's director of media and public relations, in response to the posters. "However, personal attacks and the use of vulgar language are outside the bounds of common decency and do not reflect the respectful nature and high character of our campus. Such language does not promote civil discourse or constructive dialogue."

One poster was accompanied by a printed copy of a Feb. 19, 2014 Style Weekly article detailing Queally's controversial connection to an event for the secret Wall Street fraternity Kappa Beta Phi.

In 2014, Queally was quoted in a New York Magazine article as telling sexist and homophobic jokes during a private induction ceremony for Kappa Beta Phi.

The second article hanging with the poster was from The Collegian in September, detailing the construction of the new Queally Center for Admissions and Career Services. The Queally family donated $10 million for the project, according to a news release.

The building will house five departments: the admissions office, the financial aid office, the Registrar, the Bursar and Career Services and has an expected completion date of July 2016.

The Collegian does not know who hung the posters.

"Together, we will work to ensure that our campus remains a place that exercises care, respect and civility, while sustaining free expression, which is a hallmark of an academic community," Price said. 

Contact editor-in-chief Jack Nicholson at jack.nicholson@richmond.edu