"The Bachelorette" films in downtown Richmond

<p>Carpenter Theatre showcased “Becca & Leo” in bright lights for a taping of the reality TV show "The Bachelorette."</p>

Carpenter Theatre showcased “Becca & Leo” in bright lights for a taping of the reality TV show "The Bachelorette."

University of Richmond students and Richmond residents have been buzzing about the filming of an episode of ABC’s hit reality show "The Bachelorette" that took place in Richmond during the first week of April. 

"The Bachelorette," which is in the process of filming its 14th season, is a dating game show and a spin off of "The Bachelor."

The show is known for its extravagant dates, unique destinations and awkward, on-the-spot situations. 

The current Bachelorette, Becca Kufrin, 28, is a publicist from Minnesota. 

While the show was being filmed locally, Kufrin was spotted at some of Richmond’s well-known hot spots, such as the Quirk Hotel, Veil Brewing Co., the Virginia State Capitol and Sugar Shack Donuts on Lombardy Street. The show’s host, Chris Harrison, was also spotted working out at Orangetheory Fitness, buying juice at Ginger Juice and having dinner at Graffiato.

Kufrin and her date for the night, Leo Dottavio, had a private dinner, and Kufrin surprised the contestant with a concert featuring artist Morgan Evans at the Carpenter Theatre afterward. The sign on the front of the theater showcased “Becca & Leo” in bright lights. 

Junior Tyler Anderson was in downtown Richmond and attended "The Bachelorette" filming at the Carpenter Theatre, located across from UR Downtown. 

“It was a great time which included signing releases, waiting around for hours, getting to talk to the producers of the show, having to deal with really pushy rude girls and getting to be right up against the bachelorette and her date – all while listening to a great up-and-coming artist,” Anderson said.

Anderson also discovered that Harrison not only hosts the show but also plays a big role in producing it and corralling the extras. Although the concert scene was shot in only one take, the scene had to be practiced and the audience had to listen to the song at least 10 times before Kufrin and Dottavio arrived. 

In addition to the concert and theater production, there was a group date hosted at the Virginia State Capitol, where a mock election debate took place between the dates, which they coined "The Beccalection." 

Although it is not exactly clear why Kufrin chose Richmond, there is speculation that Richmond may have been a hometown date, in which the Bachelorette visits a contestant's hometown. 

The 14th season of "The Bachelorette" premieres on May 28 on ABC. The Richmond episode is expected to air in July.

Contact lifestyle writer Addie Kline at addie.kline@richmond.edu.