Spiders Sports Recap: Week of Oct. 15

<p>The Richmond football team lost to Elon, 28-38, on Friday, Oct. 20.&nbsp;</p>

The Richmond football team lost to Elon, 28-38, on Friday, Oct. 20. 

Football 

Oct. 20: Loss 28-38 at Elon University

Redshirt sophomore quarterback Joe Mancuso threw for 215 yards with two touchdowns and one interception. Redshirt senior wide receiver Caleb Drake caught three receptions for 109 yards, including one 66-yard touchdown. The team’s record fell to 3-5 and 1-4 in Colonial Athletic Association competition. 

Women's Golf

Oct. 20-21: 10th Place, Cardinal Cup, Simpsonville, Kentucky 

The Spiders finished with a score of 307 (+73) in their final event of the fall season. Senior Annie Collom finished 24th with a score of 227 (+1). 

Men's Golf 

Oct. 15-16: Eighth Place, Autotrader Collegiate Classic, Duluth, Georgia

Richmond combined for a team score of 860 (-4). Senior Ben Wanichek led all Spiders with a score of 211 (-5), finishing 16th overall. 

Men’s Tennis 

Oct. 18-19: ITA Atlantic Regional Championships, Blacksburg, Virginia 

Junior Matt Fernandez advanced to the round of 32 with wins against players from George Washington University and the U.S. Naval Academy. Fernandez and first-year John Walsh also advanced the round of 32 in doubles. 

Soccer

Oct. 18: Loss 0-1 vs. University of Dayton

Dayton scored in the 85th minute to defeat the Spiders at home.

Oct. 21: Win 2-1 at Davidson College

Goals from first-year Alyssa Hendricks and junior Brooke Beam secured the Spiders’ final regular-season game. They finish the season with a record of 2-15-1. 

Field Hockey

Oct. 19: Win 2-0 vs. Davidson 

A pair of first-half goals from first-years Addie Nash and Steffie Bongers secured a Richmond victory. 

Oct. 21: Win 2-0 vs. Lock Haven University 

Junior Elise Zwicklbauer and senior Nealy Henderson scored in the Richmond victory. Goalkeeper Emily Braunewell, a redshirt junior, had two saves in the shutout.  

Swimming and Diving 

Oct. 19: Win 173-112 vs. Davidson

Junior Hannah Gouger finished in first place in both the 50-yard freestyle and 200-yard backstroke. Junior Maddy Chao finished first in one-meter diving, and first-year Maggie Purcell earned first in the 200-yard breaststroke.

Oct. 20: Win 167-132 vs. Duquesne University

A squad of Gouger, Purcell, senior Lauren Wallace and senior Morgan Soulia won the 400-yard medley relay. The team’s record improved to 2-2 for the season. 

Contact sports editor Andrew Wilson at andrew.wilson@richmond.edu