Former Richmond quarterback Kyle Lauletta made his NFL debut Sunday afternoon for the New York Giants in a 40-14 victory against the Washington Redskins.

The Giants brought Lauletta into the game on Dec. 9 for their first play of the fourth quarter, deciding to bench veteran quarterback Eli Manning after mounting a 40-0 lead. 

Giants head coach Pat Shurmur first thought at halftime that they would play Lauletta if the team maintained a strong lead, he said in his postgame comments, according to Giants.com

“I don’t think he had enough to evaluate how he did,” Shurmur said. “But he executed things pretty well but I would have liked to see him get a couple more completions.”

Lauletta went 0-5 passing and threw one interception. He handed the ball off to the running back nine times.  

“We didn’t do well enough and didn’t execute and get first downs,” Lauletta said after the game, according to Giants.com. “But I don’t want to take anything away from an incredible team win and another step in the right direction for us.”

The Giants drafted Lauletta in the fourth round out of UR in April, making him the highest-picked quarterback in the school’s history.

In October, Lauletta was arrested in Weehawken, New Jersey, after he made an illegal turn on his way to practice and nearly hit a police officer. 

The Giants improved their record to 5-8 and will next play the Tennessee Titans at home next Sunday. It is unclear when Lauletta will have his next opportunity to play. 

Contact sports editor Andrew Wilson at andrew.wilson@richmond.edu.