Spider Sports Recap: Week of January 15

<p>Sophomore Nathan Cayo goes for a layup Wednesday, Jan. 16 in a loss against Dusquene.&nbsp;</p>

Sophomore Nathan Cayo goes for a layup Wednesday, Jan. 16 in a loss against Dusquene. 

Women’s Tennis 

Jan. 15: Loss 1-6 at the College of William & Mary 

The Spiders lost their season opener on the road. Junior Lea Owens picked up the team’s only victory in singles.

Men’s Basketball

Jan. 16: Loss 68-74 vs. Duquesne University 

Click here for the full story. 

Jan. 19: Loss 62-75 at Davidson College

Sophomores Jacob Gilyard and Nathan Cayo led the Spiders with 16 points each in a road loss. The team’s record fell to 7-11. 

Women’s Basketball 

Jan. 16: Loss 55-78 at Davidson

A season-high 28 turnovers led to a UR loss in which the Spiders trailed the whole game. Junior forward Jaide Hinds-Clarke led the Spiders with 17 points. 

Jan. 19: Loss 54-80 at Duquesne

The team shot at 27 percent from the floor and had 12 turnovers. Its record fell to 3-15. 

Women's Track and Field

Jan. 18-19: VMI Keydet Invitational, Lexington, Virginia 

Junior Haley Berkeley won the pentathlon. Sophomore Brooke Fazio won the 500-meter with a time of 1 minute, 14 seconds. Senior Eryn Mills and first-year Johanna Lupica finished second and fourth, respectively, in the 3000m. 

Swimming

Jan. 19: Loss 115-181 at Villanova University

The Spiders fell in their first meet after the winter break. First-year Maggie Purcell finished first place in both the 100-yard and 200-yard breaststroke. Senior Nicole Piercy finished first in the 400-yard individual medley and junior Eliza Manning finished first in the 50-yard freestyle.

Contact sports editor Andrew Wilson at andrew.wilson@richmond.edu