Roofing subcontractor employee dies after suffering fall from Lora Robins Court

An employee of a roofing subcontractor working at Lora Robins Court has died from injuries sustained after falling off the building’s roof Wednesday morning, according to the university police department.

The employee has been identified as Cristino Santiago Vasquez Clemente, according to an email sent Thursday morning by University President Ronald Crutcher.

Vasquez Clemente, 55, a Richmond native, was transported to VCU Medical Center with life-threatening injuries immediately after suffering the fall, which occurred at approximately 9:45 a.m. Wednesday.

The official cause and manner of death has not yet been determined, said Alvin Hopson, district administrator for the Central District Office of the Chief Medical Examiner.

Construction at the site was halted after the accident occurred, Cynthia Price, director of media and public relations, said in an email.

According to an ABC 8News article, university officials said the employee – a Trent Construction contractor – fell from four stories high off the roof of Lora Robins while doing renovation work.

The worker was unresponsive after falling, a university employee told The Collegian.

In his email to members of the university community, Crutcher thanked first responders. 

“I also want to extend my thanks to University public safety officials who responded to the accident yesterday and provided the utmost care and support at the scene,” he said.

Contact managing editor Arrman Kyaw at arrman.kyaw@richmond.edu and editor-in-chief Jocelyn Grzeszczak at jocelyn.grzeszczak@richmond.edu.