Richmond round-up: Valentine's Day on a budget

<p>The Continental Westhampton is located on Grove Avenue.&nbsp;</p>

The Continental Westhampton is located on Grove Avenue. 

Valentine’s Day, no matter whom you spend it with, can get a little pricey. Here are five restaurants in Richmond that can host a low-cost date night or even a Galentine’s Day.

The Continental Westhampton

The Continental Westhampton, located on Grove Avenue, is “your neighborhood go-to, serving American fare re-imagined. Sandwiches, Daily Specials, Lobster Rolls, Egg Creams, Spirits & More,” according to its website

Sophomore Olivia Podber went to The Continental Westhampton for her roommate’s birthday last year. 

“It was a very enjoyable experience and the food exceeded our expectations, making it a go-to restaurant for future friends’ trips and more,” Podber said. 

With its appetizers and sandwiches all under $12, The Continental Westhampton is the perfect spot for Valentine’s Day dinner. 

Arianna’s Italian Grill & Pizza

Arianna’s Italian Grill & Pizza is an Italian restaurant with a large menu featuring salads, pizza, pasta, calzones and sandwiches. All its pasta dishes are under $20, and all its small pizzas are under $16. 

Located near the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, about 10 minutes away from campus, Arianna’s is a relaxed restaurant with great food that would make a perfect date spot for Valentine’s Day. 

Bombolini Pasta

Although Bombolini Pasta is not the stereotypical date-night destination, its freshly made (and inexpensive) pasta makes for a great dinner to take on a picnic. Bombolini Pasta is a family-owned business located in The Fan, launched in 2008, according to its website

With entrees, sandwiches and 19 flavors of pasta, Bombolini Pasta is the perfect place to pick up dinner for Valentine’s Day dinner at home or to bring to nearby Monroe Park for a date outside. 

Wood & Iron Gameday Restaurant and Bar

Located 10 minutes off campus, Wood & Iron Gameday Restaurant and Bar has burgers, salads, flatbreads and other entrees big enough to share. There is outdoor patio seating available, and all the desserts are under $8. 

Sophomore Claire Dustin went to Wood & Iron last semester, and loved it, she said. 

“Their menu was huge and not too expensive, and the portions were big, so you got your money’s worth for sure," Dustin said. "It’s more casual than a typical Italian restaurant but the food was so good that I didn’t even care.”

Garnett’s Cafe

Garnett’s Cafe is “a classic neighborhood sandwich shop on a sweet corner in the heart of Richmond's Fan neighborhood,” according to its website. Its menu consists of sandwiches, salads, cake and pie. According to its website, it offers picnic baskets “if you'd like to eat in the park across the street or take your lunch to the river.” 

Garnett’s is a perfect location for Valentine’s Day snack, lunch or dinner and everything on its menu is $10 or less. 

Shyndigz

If you still have room for dessert, check out Shyndigz!

Shyndigz, a dessert spot on Cary Street, offers special desserts and a monthly cake calendar with featured flavors. Open until midnight on Valentine’s Day, Shyndigz is the perfect place to go after dinner. 

Junior Jennifer Kramer said: “I’ve tried pretty much every cake from takeout to dining in and I can honestly say that every time I go, it gets better and better. I’m embarrassed to say, but I have gone three times in one weekend once. Hands down the best cake I’ve ever had, you really get a bang for your buck.” 

Its February cake calendar was posted -- check out the website to see which flavors are available this month!

Contact lifestyle writer Kaitlin Edwardson at kaitlin.edwardson@richmond.edu.