Ask Eric: How to feel close and safe with friends

<p><em>Graphic by The Collegian</em></p>

Graphic by The Collegian

Editor's Note: Ask Eric is an advice column published every Tuesday. Anonymous questions are taken from this Google form. Questions are also taken both from The Collegian's Instagram, @thecollegianur, and via email, collegianaskeric@gmail.com. The views and opinions expressed in this article do not reflect those of The Collegian.

Any small businesses in Richmond I could support?

I am not a native Richmonder but after a quick google search, I found this website with many stories about small businesses in RVA. 

Additionally, Richmond is an extremely segregated city, with huge racial disparities. According to an article from a University of Richmond Faculty Publication, Richmond’s lasting racial disparities “remain

regional in scope.” This is why it is incredibly important to support Black-owned businesses. You can find a list here,” and another great website, which is a “campaign to highlight and celebrate the Black cultural experience in the Richmond Region. Black community, Black business, and Black culture continue to flourish in this region, making it more vibrant than ever before.” You can also check out this article from The Collegian, (Black-owned businesses and organizations in Richmond) which further elaborates on this question.

What are some things my friends and I can keep doing to spend time safely outside as it gets chillier?

When the weather is warm, people can participate in socially distant picnics and other outdoor activities. I think you can still do this if you layer up! Richmond fall does not get too cold, and it can give you a chance to wear some cozy sweater.

The rain seems to be the biggest problem for outdoor socializing. We are lucky to have the tents this year which can shield you and your friends from the rain, so those are an option too. Definitely look out for Collegian articles coming out soon too, because there are many about campus life during a pandemic. 

What are your thoughts on height differences in dating?

Height differences can be very cute, however once they exceed 1ft they do look pretty funny. I feel like height differences may also be inconvenient, as one would have to look up while speaking to their partner. However, love is love so no matter the height differences, personality comes first. If the relationship is healthy I see no reason that any height difference should matter.

Should I start playing Among Us?

This may be the answer to the second question. Among Us seems to be super popular, and a cool way to interact with friends remotely as it gets colder.

I have been invited to a bunch of games, but I have not had a chance to play yet. So, I guess I’m in your boat. Everyone seems to really enjoy it, and I have played similar games to Among Us which were really fun. It is also a great activity to do when you’re trying to socialize during these times.

Contact "Eric" at collegianaskeric@gmail.com.