Former UR student from Henrico arrested after scaling fence outside U.S. Capitol

<p>The U.S. Capitol at dusk the day before Donald Trump's inauguration on Jan 19.</p>

The U.S. Capitol at dusk the day before Donald Trump's inauguration on Jan 19.

Editor's note: This is a developing story.

Marc Beauchamp, a 22-year-old man from Henrico, VA, and former student at the University of Richmond, was arrested by U.S. Capitol Police in connection with unlawful entry after police reported that he scaled the fence outside the Capitol on the night of April 25. 

The U.S. Capitol Police Twitter account posted about the incident, writing "An investigation revealed the suspect illegally parked a vehicle on the grass near the Lincoln Memorial. At this time, investigators believe this was an isolated incident."

The investigation is ongoing, according to the post.

In an email statement to The Collegian, Capitol Police's Information Office wrote that no further information would be released on the matter at this time. 

Beauchamp was enrolled at UR from August 2016 to April 2019, wrote Sunni Brown, UR's director of media and public relations, in an email to The Collegian. Beauchamp was a member of Phi Gamma Delta fraternity in his time at the university, according to his Facebook account. 

Beauchamp's arrest happened days before President Joe Biden's first address to Congress on April 28, and no information has been released to the public regarding a possible connection between the events. 

The fence Beauchamp scaled was put up outside of the Capitol following the Jan. 6 insurrection, where rioters broke police barricades and stormed into the building. The Justice Department has charged at least 400 people in connection with the insurrection, where five people were left dead and over 100 police officers were injured

Contact managing editor Meredith Moran at meredith.moran@richmond.edu.